Garages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garages

Okay, we've done this before but who stores records outside their home? My having a roof over my head is dependent on me storing the records where they won't crush the joists (or the carpet ) so the garage is the most convenient option. Ideally I'd like not to have to box them all up, so I can access them easily, but I'm worried about the damp, especially, damaging them. Anyone have experience of storing records this way (Greg, Parkz)?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I'd still suggest my spare room Rich.....

I'd worry about that damp, as the air doesn't circulate in a garage as the ventilation is usually at best, minimal.

It's not the extermes of hot or cold that does for them.... it's the ventilation.
    Last edited by Matt Hero; 21-02-2005, 11:15 PM.
    Matt Hero

Comment

I've just bought a second hand 7" collection of about 2000 and I'm storing them in the garage while I go through them. As there mostly beat to shit I'm not to bothered about the cold/damp but I certainly would not sleep well thinking my LP collection was in there.

Wrinkled covers with damp are a nightmare!
      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

i got a collection of about 500- 600 records i bought of some guy for £20 stored in the garage i aint to bothered as they are all of the car boot variaty (top of the pops comps and classical with the odd phil collins chucked in) i dont really wanna store them in the house as i aint got to much space and i dont really want them. but they are begining to get damp and the covers may get damaged. i really dont want to chuck them as they are records after all but i dunno what else to do with them.
        i would deffinatly not keep any records i wanted in the garage at all.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

All my rekkids that I keep in a lock up are housed in sealable crates. Sturdy plastic with a clip on lid; each one holds about 100 or so records and I've got about 30 of 'em.

And I keep the 'also ran' stuff in there. All the valuable stuff, and rekkids that I DJ with, LP's and 45's, are kept at home. Even with my lock up rekkids in water tight crates, I don't fancy leaving my trophy pieces in an outside lockup.

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
            All my rekkids that I keep in a lock up are housed in sealable crates. Sturdy plastic with a clip on lid; each one holds about 100 or so records and I've got about 30 of 'em.

And I keep the 'also ran' stuff in there. All the valuable stuff, and rekkids that I DJ with, LP's and 45's, are kept at home. Even with my lock up rekkids in water tight crates, I don't fancy leaving my trophy pieces in an outside lockup.
            Cheers everybody. Greg, knowing what a stickler you are for protecting your pride and joy, do the records that you store in the lock up suffer at all in their crates? I've found these online (I think they also advertise in Record Collector) - are they similar to what you have?

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/products.htm

Ta!
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
              Cheers everybody. Greg, knowing what a stickler you are for protecting your pride and joy, do the records that you store in the lock up suffer at all in their crates? I've found these online (I think they also advertise in Record Collector) - are they similar to what you have?

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/products.htm

Ta!
              They're fairly similar, Rich - the ones I have look a bit more sturdy than those - They came in at about a tenner per crate.

But those should do the trick - as long as you can secure the lid on 'em, job done.

I've had no worries with the rekkids I've kept in the lock up, but like I say, I'm not leaving my prized chappies out there!!

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
                I've had no worries with the rekkids I've kept in the lock up, but like I say, I'm not leaving my prized chappies out there!!
                I never leave my 'prized chappies' out in the cold !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
                X