X-Mas Swap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Mas Swap Questions

Well I've just finished listening to all 50 odd CDs from the X-mas swap. They provided great listening while I drove around town each day. And, as usual, I have a lot of questions about a lot of tracks. Some I IM'd people about already, but these are the ones that I still have questions about. Info would be greatly appreciated. Be warned, it's A LOT.

MOKE's Mix - First off, did you make this mix just for the swap? This had to be my favorite mix and what a lot of work he must of put into it. Great stuff!

Michel Colombier - Potpuri

Doug Lucas - One For You

Denis Fanon - South Bound

Duncan Lamont - Punch Drunk

Eddy Driver - Black Night

Leon Howard & The All Stars - Hula Rock

Roy Budd - No Co-Operation

Jean-Claude Petit - Psychedelic Portrait

TEDDY ROSSO - Liked the little spoken word intro that he had at the beginning explaining his recording difficulties.

Paul Baullargeon - Au Bout

Jacky Giordano - Latest News

"JUMPIN AROUND" - Didn't have a person's name on it, just a title

Vivilore Jordan - Pickin Up Where She Left Off

SERMAD - Right up there with Moke's in terms of great tune after great tune.

Pyranha - Clepsydre

Captain Tarthopon - Ab Hoc Et Ab Hoc

Jacky Giordano - Remind

Libre Esprit Moteur - Clubman Round Up

Johnny Pearson - Spy Trap

Guy Pedersen - Chasse A L'Homme

Echoing America - Coast To Coast

VINYLISM

Michel Legrand - Un Homme Est Mort

BIONIC BOY

Johnny Pearson - Danger Man

John Cameron - Afro Waltz

Soul Food - Boogie Bump

"EARTHSHOCK"

Ten Speed Racer - Pulse

NICK COPE

Priscilla Price - Rockefella Jones

Martinis - Hung Over

Final Decisions - Pusher

Johnny Holiday - I Feel Dead And Cold

Young Senator - Ringing Bells

DR. KRAKEN

Barry Foster & Frank Stafford - Poem 10

Sweet Inspirations - Shut Up

Dorothy Moore - Here It Is

MANZO

Dusty Springfield - Love Power

Chris Jones - I'm The Man

Joneses - Mary Mary

YEMSKY

City Council Ltd - When You Get Through With This

Communicators And The Black Experience - Band The Road

Earthmother - Rubberneck
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

yes yes - mr moke's mix was sterling stuff - recognised plenty of bits used by the likes of mark b over the years in there

also enjoyed your mix of funk 45s motown, and djr's too ..

bionic boy - pheww, that was some madness on yours boss, madness in a good way

pete beaver & divines were also great

currently enjoying vinylism's mix - cheers everybody

Comment

I havent checked Mokes mix out yet so this is all from hazy memory!

Duncan Lamont - Punch Drunk

Might be from an impress lib.

Eddy Driver - Black Night

Is from L'orgue Hammond on Trestaux and is VERY easy to get. Don't believe the dealers.

Leon Howard & The All Stars - Hula Rock

Something tells me this is from a Bosworth Lib.

Jean-Claude Petit - Psychedelic Portrait

Is from a Chappell DMM. Maybe 11. or 6!

Mine

Pyranha - Clepsydre

From a swiss prog rock record. Pyranha is the band name. Think its S/T lp.

Captain Tarthopon - Ab Hoc Et Ab Hoc

Jean cohen-solal lp

Jacky Giordano - Remind

From a freesound lib. Sorry brain failure.

Libre Esprit Moteur - Clubman Round Up

on some mad belgian 45! brain failure on the label.

Johnny Pearson - Spy Trap

on a BBC 7". Sometimes is known as Quator. I think Playgirl is the A side.

On a 7". Mind fails me now again on the label.

Echoing America - Coast To Coast

On a sermi lib. Muther funkin rare dude. Did get a release on a conroy Eurobeat too.

VINYLISM

Michel Legrand - Un Homme Est Mort

Either on a rockin horse do dah rare 7" or on the easier to get Legrand 'Ecran' lp. Though it can sell for a few quid. £30?

TEDDY ROSSO

Jacky Giordano - Latest News

Might be from a Timing Lib. No 1?

Nicks

Hands off Im 'avin the next one
      Last edited by sermad; 21-02-2005, 11:26 PM.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by Motown67

MANZO

Chris Jones - I'm The Man

YEMSKY

City Council Ltd - When You Get Through With This

Communicators And The Black Experience - Band The Road
        Not my CDs, but I know the Chris Jones is a 45 on Goodie Town. LA, California record. Should be easy to find on the 'bay for $10 to $15. Communicators 45 is on Tri-Oak, outta North Carolina and expensive ($500 or so). City Council Ltd 45 is outta North Carolina, too, not sure about the label, and cheaper than the Communicators 45.
        http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was just looking through my records, and it turns out I have that Chris Jones 45. Doh!
          http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Originally posted by sermad

Nicks

Hands off Im 'avin the next one

Young Senators on Innovation, out of Maryland. I'll be rooting around in Maryland this Friday mate so if I find one, it's yours. You'll need two copies though, to play out parts 1 & 2 on the decks! They have another 45, but it's rubbish (Ed would love it).
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
              Young Senators on Innovation, out of Maryland. I'll be rooting around in Maryland this Friday mate so if I find one, it's yours. You'll need two copies though, to play out parts 1 & 2 on the decks!
              Can you find four copies please Nick !!
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Motown67
                Priscilla Price - Rockefella Jones
                Have a look here for a thread about it at the df board. Martin has also covered this quite nicely along with label scans over at soulgeneration.

http://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/module...ight=priscilla

Martinis - Hung Over
                A track that has been doing the rounds ever since I can remeber going to funk gigs. Keb used to play this every Thursday at Leave My Wife Alone at The Wag. And it was played at the very first Deep Funk gig in 1994. Really gone down in value now - about £20, maybe less.

Dusty Springfield - Love Power
                I dunno if this was ever released on an original album - I've been looking around but never seen one. This was released on the compilation series by the Mojo boys. To pre-empt the LP, they released a 3 track 12" with Love Power designated its own side. Luvverly and loud - and like hens teeth to get hold of now.

Comment

I know where there's a copy of that Martini's 45.. I keep picking it up, looking at it, listening to it.. and then put it back. :doofus:

anyway, I agree with Greg - 20 - 25 is the price, I think one went on the 'bay for a bit more, but no surprises there..
                  If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Hi Motown, thanks for your questions. Here goes...

This is all from memory. I'll double-check my facts tonight. But the good news is; it's all cheap.

Barry Foster was TV's Van der Valk (which is probably best remembered for Simon Park's "Eye Level" theme tune). This is an 80s (1982?) recording where he reads some poems set to music performed by veteran british jazzers. The album is called Impulsion. I found it in a charity shop. I can't remember the label. I suspect it is UK-only and not too common, but it's probably not sought-after either.

The Sweet Inspirations were a mainstay of Elvis' 70's stage shows, providing back-up vocals. They also worked with Arethra and others. This is from their self-titled album on Atlantic, an early Gamble & Huff production with plenty more electric-sitar action. You should be able to find it for relatively cheap.

The Dorothy Moore song is the B-side "Misty Blue", a Contempo single (I imagine it's on the same label in the US?). Good 'n' cheap. I think Wolly found one in a charity shop recently.
                    It ain&#39;t shakey

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
                      I dunno if this was ever released on an original album...
                      'Dusty... ...Definitely' LP
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

... and I'm still looking for one for cheap. Saying that, I'm more than happy with my "See All Her Faces" LP, which I think is her best ever IMHO...

Comment

Originally posted by sermad

On a 7". Mind fails me now again on the label.
                          It's on the 1970 Celeste OST 45 (PEM 90501)

Sermad's mix is amazing - how many of that lot are on 45s???
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                            'Dusty... ...Definitely' LP
                            Chars, Rich - never seen one out in the field. Good show.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                              It's on the 1970 Celeste OST 45 (PEM 90501)

Sermad's mix is amazing - how many of that lot are on 45s???
                              Dude yours was on fackin fire too! I havent even started to ebay for your tunes yet - Im too scared!

Ok whats on 45.

4) Pawnshop - My Stand - On italian RRC I think.
                              6) Jacques Dutronc - A La Queue Les Yvelines - Well cheap on 'disque vogues'
                              15) Hoax - Pan's Laugh - Have a spare.
                              16) Libre Esprit Moteur - Clubman Round-Up - Think this is on the 'pirate' label.
                              17) Johnny Pearson - Spytrap - On BBC getting tricky to get.
                              18) Guy Pedersen - Chasse A L'Homme
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X