Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What style of reggae is...

this based on? rocksteady? [insert embarrassed tamoshanter icon]
    Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

dont think its even reggae,sounds calypso based,crap anyhoo
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

erm ok....
      Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

I don't mind it, not crap although not mind-blowing either...

Reminds me more of afro-funk like Black Children Sledge Funk or something....although voice at beginning sounds West Indian.
        Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
          I don't mind it, not crap although not mind-blowing either...

Reminds me more of afro-funk like Black Children Sledge Funk or something....although voice at beginning sounds West Indian.
          Yeah it's nigerian - doesnt sound too funk influenced to me - more reggae influenced but i cant work out the influence

Here's a different band in same style

Comment

This feels a bit like slowed down highlife.

But perhaps the clue is in the title - its palm-wine music!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm-wine_music
            The wiki states that Palm-wine had elements of calypso and soca, which i can hear in this track as well. I wouldn't say there is any reggae in there though.

Nigeria was a real melting pot of styles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_o...60s_and_.2770s

Comment

Yeah for me it's in a direct lineage from palmwine - as calypso got exported into West Africa people started taking it up and creating their own version of it - then once the taste for that died out in early 60s there seems to have been in a lull in influence from the British Caribbean until reggae exploded. I can hear the reggae influence really clearly in vocal arrangements - late 60s early 70s heptones style groups - must just be me though if no-one else can hear it

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post
                I can hear the reggae influence really clearly in vocal arrangements - late 60s early 70s heptones style groups - must just be me though if no-one else can hear it
                I didn't get that mate - just that mix of calypso and high-life others mentioned...
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

What highlife artists are people hearing? sounds nothing like Ukwu / Professional Seagulls, Peacocks, Oriental Brothers, Ali Chukwuma and all the obvious ones I know from same period in mid 70s

Comment

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sweet+Breeze+%282%29

Its from an album by Sweet Breeze called "Across the Desert". It sounded West African to me so did a little online digging and found the above Discogs page. Theres more info online if you like.

Comment

Yeah was just speaking to a guy who knows this scene inside out. Apparently its a genre called "sweet music" - which was in part influenced by effects of The Mohawks blowing up big in Nigeria encouraging large scale distribution of Pama and Trojan singles in the country. All roads lead back to Alan Hawkshaw

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post
                        Yeah for me it's in a direct lineage from palmwine - as calypso got exported into West Africa people started taking it up and creating their own version of it - then once the taste for that died out in early 60s there seems to have been in a lull in influence from the British Caribbean until reggae exploded. I can hear the reggae influence really clearly in vocal arrangements - late 60s early 70s heptones style groups - must just be me though if no-one else can hear it
                        As someone who knows nothing about reggae and has but two reggae albums and two 45s.... it sounds pretty reggae influnenced to my untrained ears - something about the slightly out of tune guitars and keyboard playing along with the bass... and definitely the vocals. I would have put it straight in my nonexistent reggae section. I quite like it BTW. It really is something I need to get better aquaintend with - reggae that is - although I like stuff that breaks the mould if possible - any suggestions for strange reggae? I'll ask the question via a new thread I think!
                        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                          It really is something I need to get better aquaintend with - reggae that is...
                          First session free if you sign up for my 10-step "Introduction to Reggae" programme..!

I've been trying to convince Mr Sayers for years, but failed miserably.

If you do come to love reggae, I will miss your "I don't like following DJ's that play reggae" rants.
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I can´t hear any reggae or calypso in it at all.

Rhythm seems to be laid back funk/r&b groove, guitars sound West African, maybe the vocal harmonies, but that could come from soul too.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I have nothing to add except that I thought it was quite a nice tune. And I'd never heard of palm wine so that's interesting. To me.

Comment

Working...
                              X