Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reggae that's a bit interesting for those that don't really like reggae that much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae that's a bit interesting for those that don't really like reggae that much

Following on from the 'what kind of reggae is this thread'..... I have never really 'got' reggae. Sure it is infectious on the dance floor - guaranteed to get people moving (hence my dread of following a reggae set as Sie V has mentioned!) - but it's not something I ever listen to at home, or have a particular knowledge / bond to. The few times I've engaged with it have been either:

1. A rather fun cover version of a well known track - I know there is a big tradition of those
    2. Weird takes on reggae - ie that Colonel Elliott & The Lunatics ‎– Interstellar Reggae Drive LP
    3. Dub stuff - following the roots of On-u-sound / Gary Clail tunes I bought in the 90s

So - my question - are there any 'out there' reggae moments that I should check out? Anything strange and wonderful?
    And - what is the very best / or maddest reggae cover version?
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Like you, I've never been a massive fan. I loved ska as a kid, but once it got into the 70s stuff it lost me. So I like looking for quirky reggae-not-reggae type things.

This is good:

Skatalites, from a King Tubby album. There are a few nice things on this.

I've always really liked this:

Brent Dowe.

Dillinger

Dennis Brown

And so on....
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Here's a splendid reggae version of Moon River that I've been listening to a lot recently and thinking Huckleberry is a cool name.

Pretty sure there's loads of versions of Take 5 in every style imaginable but I really like this reggae one by Val Bennet.

I've never really figured if this was pure reggae (sounds funkier with more professional production to me) but I got this on a comp many years ago and it was my moment of reggae clarity - Jackie Mittoo's Groovy Spirit - it builds and builds to the point where you don't have enough hands to dance to it.

There's tons of reggae cover versions out there, if you name a well known R&B track from the 60's and 70's there's a good chance there's a reggae version of it somewhere, and often more enjoyable than the original. Your's is the only opinion that matters on whether it's the very best or maddest.
      I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Lee Perry "Disco Devil" might appeal to the casual reggae fan who doesn't like reggae. Or just stick to UB40...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STG1gYTdC0
        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
          2. Weird takes on reggae
          US groups sometimes offer a strange take on reggae.

buzz flute, dubbiness, reggae chops and massive bass drop all come in after 2.30.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

UB40 Arms in Dub is a very good and cheap dub record for people who are not really into dub.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Ken Boothe did a super version of the much covered "Down By The River"

And Dennis Brown's version of Wichita Lineman is sublime ( that's a much overused word, but it actually is) He was only 15 when he recorded it.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

That's a great Wichita Lineman.

This possibly fits the bill for fun cover version. Little Roy's Come As You Are.

Comment

A bit of time and a bit of Youtubing always reminds me how little I know and in this case just how great jackie mittoo was. A daft but enjoyable version of Something Stupid that sounds end of the pier and brilliant in equal measure.

Last edited by Brass Monkey; 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM. Reason: too many equals

Comment

Anything strange and wonderful?
                    Where to start...

tribulation dub - the observer

invasion - king tubby

basshoven - motion

hulet - aswad

Comment

Let me know if any of this rocks your boat Steve & I'll recommend some more. From your initial pointers the 'Safari' track might work & 'The wild bunch' is a great Jackson 5 cover which I think raised one of your eyebrows at Brillo

Comment

Murder Weapon. Dancehall fun. So catchy, Tricky ripped it off! Peter Gunn sample / Oh Carolina riddim / massively violent lyric = pop genius

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                          Or just stick to UB40...
                          ........ that's where I'm trying to move on from, that and the greatest hits of Bob Marley......

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                          UB40 Arms in Dub is a very good and cheap dub record for people who are not really into dub.
                          This is what I love about this 'ere place - UB40 gets a reggae-lite thumbs down and then a dub thumbs up 2 posts later

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all the fine suggestions - I knew you'd surprise me with delights! And Tom - I'll check that mix - very good timing!!

Comment

........ that's where I'm trying to move on from, that and the greatest hits of Bob Marley......
                              To be fair the greatest hits of bob marley is an awesome collection of songs.
                              Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Working...
                              X