What is psychedelia now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is psychedelia now?

Relevant to me cos psych in the news all the time these days.
    There is an article here that is both boring and unilluminating

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/blog/what-is-psych/

One of the bands featured in that article who have made the grade and been accepted at the Austin Psych Festival are called Elephant Stone and they give their concept of psychedelia and mention this song

To me that's nice enough pop but there is nothing mind-expanding or disorientating - psychedelic if you will - about it. I feel that psychedelia in 2013 should be something that has the effect on the listener that Tomorrow Never Knows did when it came out, not something that sounds a bit like Tomorrow Never Knows - although (from personal taste) I do somehow want it to tap into a lineage that is descended from that and other classics. Am I asking too much? Am I just speaking bollocks? Anyone have any thoughts?

Another article here that I haven't read yet but which I include for good measure cos it looks interesting http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...on-psychedelia

Comment

Oddly enough I was thinking of starting an almost identical thread. Although I'm not sure I've reached any conclusions, yet. Psych does appear to be a convenient, hip label right now for what would previously have been unremarkable indie pop. Psychedelia is not necessary for psych and not all psychedelia is psych.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Possibly not the best example, but the fist that came to mind... maybe today's psych is no longer "rock" oreintated, it's in the hands of the machines:

edit: i should have read the articles first, the second one kind of says something similar.

also, fun idea to stick a spotify playlist in the article, but why did they choose the most advert-friendly, commercial, and least psychedelic Tame Imapla tune?? I hate that one!
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
          but there is nothing mind-expanding or disorientating
          You find these qualities in loads of other genres of music, just let psych rest in peace
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I reckon it's at least partly in the hands of the machines... though I think that stuff which is too gridded struggles to be psychedelic, unless it can somehow make a virtue of rigidity. Also, in the comment in the thread on the Guardian someone says Coil are the most psychedelic band ever, I think that Simon Reynolds once wrote an article about how industrial music was where psychedelia existed now. Though presumably that article was written twenty years ago.

Comment

"You find these qualities in loads of other genres of music, just let psych rest in peace"
              How do you mean? Let it stay the same? Or are you saying it's dead, forget about it?

Comment

This is interesting.

Comment

"Psychedelic music (sometimes psychedelia[1]) covers a range of popular music styles and genres, which are inspired by or influenced by psychedelic culture and which attempt to replicate and/or enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs." [wikipedia]

That pretty much sums up what psychedelia is for me.

Even this is psychedelic.

The above song is a cover of idris muhammad's 'could heaven ever be like'.

Comment

How do you mean? Let it stay the same? Or are you saying it's dead, forget about it?
                    I mean you can find those qualities elsewhere, and if that is what you are looking for then you'll find plenty.
                    The ambient / experimental / drone / modern classical / free end of the spectrum is ripe with this sort of stuff:

http://www.discogs.com/Birds-Of-Pass...elease/3423148

http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Listenin.../master/472515

http://www.discogs.com/Alan-Lamb-Pri...release/170796

http://www.discogs.com/Jason-Lescall...release/329838

http://www.discogs.com/Lowered-Lost-...elease/4454303

http://www.discogs.com/Joe-Mcphee-Th...elease/4488429

some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

But isn't the thing I asked for pretty much the definition given by hierooo above?

"Even this is psychedelic."
                      I'd say that's pretty fucking psychedelic.

Comment

But isn't the thing I asked for pretty much the definition given by hierooo above?
                        This is the key phrase, for me:
                        Originally posted by hierooo View Post
                        "replicate... ...the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs." [wikipedia]
                        And music of any genre is capable of doing that, personally. (But not any music, of any genre). It's where the definition of psychedelic fails, as this capability of a music is an entirely personal thing, so one person's psychedelia is not necessarily anyone else's. Given, some elements are more likely to trigger a response, but boil the music down to these component parts and your liable to miss the point. So the new psych bands that aren't psych either a) fail to connect with me, personally or b) fail to connect, psychedelically, with anyone. Or c) something else, like just using psych as a handy tag for selling records.

I'm not sure whether we're arguing or agreeing?
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

i think that you and I are in agreement and Medlar and I are agreeingi in essence but disagreeing on semantics. Maybe it was a pointless thread...
                          But my question - does anyone find that Elephant Stone track psychedelic?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                            This is the key phrase, for me:

something else, like just using psych as a handy tag for selling records.
                            Bingo!

Also a couple of points:

Does the creator have to be on psychedelic drugs to make the experience psychedelic for the listener?

Does the listener have to be on psychedelic drugs to make a saccherine pop ditty psychedelic?

The mind can be altered by all types of phenomena, I'm not sure how much "psychedelic drugs" has to do with it?

Comment

For me the elephant stone song is not psychedelic and a bit to "pop" for my personal taste.

Comment

Working...
                              X