Compilations-For or Against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compilations-For or Against?

I know this will have been discussed on the forum before but what's the general consensus regarding comps?

I was just reading the sleeve notes from Mr Josh Davis aka DJ Shadow on that Keb Darge Funk comp and his negative feelings about comps in general. Now I'm not sure if his whole stand point is from the beat digging view "thou shall not name artists". Is it because he doesn't like the idea of bootleg comps (artists not receiving royalities) or should we all discover these lost records ourselves without any help?

Well if its the latter I unfortunately wasn't born in S.F. and my local record shop didn't hold a copy of Bongo Rock for $10 in 1988 (or a basement full of forgotten records that I was able to trawl through-see Scratch the movie). I'm afraid the North East of England (to my knowledge) doesn't have a warehouse full of records where I can scour for funk 45's.

Therefore, I've relied on the Ultimate Breaks series in the late 80's and now Dusty Fingers, Beyond the Valley's etc etc for guiding me in the right direction regarding forgetton records. I love the eclectic mix of songs featured on them (Finders Keepers included of course!)

Right then, what's the view from the Vulture crowd?
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Originally posted by Campag Record
    I'm afraid the North East of England (to my knowledge) doesn't have a warehouse full of records where I can scour for funk 45's.
    I think you'll find it does...

What was the question again?
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I think comps are a good thing, the good word (or sound rather) has to be spread to the masses.

An I think Mr shadow would be pro comps as he releases them himself, check out the cali-tex comps. Which reminds me Ive gotta get a copy of the new cali-tex comp.
      Earfuzz

Comment

I interviewed Keb once and those comps came up - I recall him saying that shadows reticence in including the detials was a 'hip hop thing' akin to having tapes but no idea who was on them ...

some other notable person, I forget who, was extolling the virtures of comps for the simple fact they introduce you to new music - obviously most of us on here would like to see accompanying royaliteis for the artists ..

the last 2 comps I've scooped were the Aquarius Rock on Pressure sounds and one called 'out on a funky tip' which is funky reggae (soul makossa etc) - it is summer here in the southern hemisphere

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One
          I think you'll find it does...

What was the question again?
          Don't tease, prey tell

I haven't bought a comp for a while, Aqurius Rock sounds interesting?
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

im totally for them. as long as the artist get his money for them.
            they have introduced me to loads of bands i would deffinatly never of heard of (like the last dusty fingers had the band trifle on it now im trying to search that one down).
            wouldnt be much good though if all you had was comps. though you still would have the good tracks, its not really the same as finding an lp you really really want at the back of the last crate of beaten up records after a day looking, or buying an lp for pence at a boot sale on the off chance and finding a track thats amazing.
            same with reissues i buy them...
            basically if im after a track i buy the first affordable record wit hthe track on if i come accross and oringinal afterwards ill still probably buy that as well (if its affordable) my hendrix collection has like 6 copies of some as i keep finding better copies or originals.
            anyway ill shut up now
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Nothing wrong with comps, though nowadays they have to be legal. Of course that makes life a whole lot more difficult for the compiler, but so what - let 'em earn their fees!

It can make a collector clench his jaw when he sees his 'beloved spin' become accessible to anyone, but that's part of the game. You'll just have to keep two steps ahead of the compilations - shouldn't be too hard.

I just like to see good product: sleevenotes, decent design and good sound of course. The Shadow thing about not listing his tracks was funny - I mean ultimately, you could've found out what those tracks were in about twenty minutes, except maybe the Milton 45 - but then all you would've needed to do was find a deepfunk message board and you'd put the pieces together quick-fast. So what was the point? What was my point come to think of it?
              http://wakeupanddie.com
              http://weirdgearnyc.com
              http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record
                Don't tease, prey tell
                It's more Yorkshire than North East, isn't it Andy ??

... nowt in there you'd like
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

As some one who got shit all money and a debt the size of Nebraska from buying records, I rely on comps to hear what I want to hear. Generally I tend now to buy boots of rarer stuff and ltd pressings as I’ve a better chance of nabbing the 7 if less people know about it. Still pick up general release stuff if it’s my bag and djing a lot means if the album gets wacked then you can always pick up another.
                  I've seen the doc about shadow and have to laugh at his comp scoffage. Its a hell of a lot easier for people with bread and a fekin basement full of wax....try fukin livin in a Belfast ghetto in a crisp packet in the middle of a stinkin sewer and droppin the breaks. I say screw everybody with more money and records and food and stuff than me which prob most everybody.
                  Certainly until I get more money and records, then it’s to hell with those pesky comps and boots that don't pay the artist any readies.....me? I only play og 45s man.

I will now smoke this soap box

1 luv
                  MODZ
                  Hero No.9
                  Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                  THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by rolex baxter
                    I interviewed Keb once and those comps came up - I recall him saying that shadows reticence in including the detials was a 'hip hop thing' akin to having tapes but no idea who was on them ...

Did Keb also tell you that he used to think compilations were hell spawn and couldn't understand why he should make available the records he'ld tracked down, and spent hours and thousands of pounds to find, just for the average Joe to trudge along to HMV and buy in a jot?

It took BBE some serious convincing to bring his way of thinking around - and obviously for the better. They certainly contributed to the success of Deep Funk and Kebs popularity worldwide, I would say. And fair play to the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
                      It can make a collector clench his jaw when he sees his 'beloved spin' become accessible to anyone, but that's part of the game. You'll just have to keep two steps ahead of the compilations - shouldn't be too hard.
                      Agreed - theres nothing sadder than some bloke taking issue because the record he owns shows up on a comp. Its not as if they made the record, all they did was buy it and own it (and covet it to a point where any other human might think they were a bit weird).

Personally I feel quite chuffed if something I own shows up on a comp. It means that someone else out there also has impeccable taste and we should be having coffee together and discussing the finer things in life.

The only thing I'm against are shitty comps with only one decent tune.

Comment

It's easy to be sniffy about comps but heaven knows, speaking as someone whose finger is firmly off the pulse, they've introduced me to a lot of great music over the years and given me some clues to track down more stuff for myself.

Like Blow_Fly I'm uneasy over this business of DJs etc feeling as if they 'own' a record they've found. It just goes against the whole spirit in which music is recorded in the first place, ie, you want the world and his missus to hear it!
                        The Pop Music Library

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo of Sprowston
                          It's easy to be sniffy about comps but heaven knows, speaking as someone whose finger is firmly off the pulse, they've introduced me to a lot of great music over the years and given me some clues to track down more stuff for myself.

Like Blow_Fly I'm uneasy over this business of DJs etc feeling as if they 'own' a record they've found. It just goes against the whole spirit in which music is recorded in the first place, ie, you want the world and his missus to hear it!
                          as Greg touched on earlier, having rare stuff comped of which you own a copy helps your demand as a DJ too. If anything, it's a good promotion tool. It certainly doesn't de-value the originals. If anything, it pushes the value up as more people have switched on to it and want the original format.
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I don't mind comps if it helps to keep vinyl digging in a healthy state!....but i don't buy them anymore unless I'm 90% sure I won't find the original Lp from which ever track i like came from....and that would be Library comps more than anything.

The only problem I have is when several different labels put the same damn tracks on different comps ....Dusty Fingers, the Harmless comps & even the BBE comps have all been guilty of using the same tracks to sell their LP's.
                            There were several a few years ago like "the Breaks" "Pulp Fusion" "Negro Disco" "Disco Juice" and plenty more which turned me off the whole thing due to banging out the same old standard classics. Maybe things have changed a bit but it hasn't when i'm browsing for stuff.

I think it was Nick who made a good point that there should be sleeve notes with info or something to show that it's been researched well.
                            All those comps with no info or half baked track listings just seem self obsessed projects with no intention of spreading useful info on the artists.

I reckon the majority of comps just simply aren't value for money anymore!
                            "Its not punishment they need, Its gunishment"

Comment

As a matter of principal I refuse to buy compilations. It's got to be original or nothing else ... in fact I'm refusing to buy Jean-Claude Vannier's 'L'Enfant Assassin Des Mouches' reissue because I know I'll find one 'out in the field' if I look hard enough.

But seriously, I look at compilations as samplers of music I've overlooked or never heard before and makes me keep my eyes open for more of the same when I'm out and about. Good old Johnny Trunk I say.
                              Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Working...
                              X