Where to buy a turntable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy a turntable?

I'm currently using a borrowed turntable, one of those cacky USB things. I've so far bought 2 Pioneers turntables from eBay, both of which were shagged. One didn't work at all. The other didn't seem that bad, just dirty and no cartridge. The platter span and everything. So I bought a new cartridge and installed that, wired it into my 1980s amp of doom, gently lay down a sliver of vinyl, reverentially cleaned it with my carbon fibre bristles, watched the needle slowly descend into the groove, and then realised that the motor was shagged and couldn't hold a speed. So it sounded like the Chipmunks having a sing-song with Ja Rule having a stroke.

Anyway, long story short, where can I buy a turntable that isn't a) shagged or b) priced at one bazillion English pounds?

Ideally, I'd like to pay no more than £100 or so and have something that sounds good, doesn't eat records and most importantly works. I don't really care how old/new it is, or what it looks like.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Without going into too much detail on a public forum, could you indicate whereabouts you live..? There may be a decent local second-hand hi-fi dealer on your doorstep...
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I live in the sunny climes of Telford, Shropshire...

Comment

try gumtree online , then you can get one locally so can check before you buy

Comment

Thanks, just had a quick search and other than pairs of Technics at 4x my budget, there's nothing around

Comment

I reckon if you want to set up and go with minimum hassle, either spend a day with a car and a tour of Oxfam / second hand shops, or buy either this or even better this. Then you can always sell them on ebay in a year or two if you want to upgrade...
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Unfortunately, the charity shops around here aren't allowed to sell electrical items for the most part - and the couple that do never have turntables in when I pop in!

I keep looking at the Pro-Ject Essential turntables but they're just too much for me to stretch to at the moment. Keep hoping I'll find a second hand one for £125 or so but it hasn't happened yet

Comment

well you could try the car booters and pick up some old one. Also you would be surprised how much of this stuff goes on freecycle. Basically get old hifi stuff for free. You can even post a want and see if people bite. Loads of stuff I get now comes from there (joys of having a family.

By the way I do hope you keep us updated on what you end up with. Oh and have fun.
                Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

There is a huge car boot on at the weekend which I'm going to go and have a mooch around. As for Freecycle, I use it plenty - had plenty of vinyl from there so far! No response to my want post yet though.

Comment

mad
                    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

If I was you, I'd keep looking, but at the same time think about stowing a bit more dosh away, to give yourself a bit more choice. Buy cheap now, and it just might prove to be a false economy in a year or two (or even sooner!) Your records will appreciate it too I'm sure. Good luck
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by kiruji View Post
                        and then realised that the motor was shagged and couldn't hold a speed. So it sounded like the Chipmunks having a sing-song with Ja Rule having a stroke.
                        You are sure it is the motor rather than just needing a new belt? Or is it direct drive?

Comment

It's direct drive

Comment

Post the model numbers of the Pioneers, with clear fault details for each. I'd be surprised if I can't talk you through at least getting one functional!
                            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

That would be awesome if you could!

The first is a PL-300X (direct drive). It spins and stops fine but when playing a record, the speed seems to fluctuate, getting faster and slower at random. The counterweight on the back of the arm is missing too - not sure if that would affect the speed though?

The second is a PL-100X (belt drive). Again, it seems to spin OK but the tonearm is stuck on something - it swings over the first inch or so of platter but then stops. I didn't want to force it, but applying gentle pressure feels like it's pushing against something plastic inside and it's bending and springing back when I let go. I abandoned messing with that in favour of the 300X as that seemed like it was going to work!

My next step was to buy some contact cleaner and clean the switches etc on the 300X to see if that was causing the problem. That and see if there's any speed adjustment screws on it.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X