Hobbies of Today: the 'lost' debut single from 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbies of Today: the 'lost' debut single from 1977

Mexborough, South Yorkshire's own Hobbies of Today were formed in early 1977, and had soon recorded three tracks for release as a 7" single in the first half of 1977 ... but it was not to be: shenanigans at the record pressing plant meant that the single was never issued and the master tapes were lost. All that survived was a mono copy of the final mix of the three intended tracks, on a cassette, which was left languishing in a drawer at main man Kev's home .... until now!

Plans are afoot to release these post-glam, proto-punk gems on a seven inch single. I've set up a FB page to let folk know of progress, and there's a link there to short excerpts of the tracks.

https://www.facebook.com/HobbiesOfTodayMexborough
    OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Good work. Listening to the soundclips now...
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Marvellous stuff! Get it out there. I'll definitely be up for one.
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

When did they plan to release this Jon? First half of 77 too? In which case where does that fit in with other punk singles? Anyone got a timeline?

Definitely an amazing find and I think a lot of people are going to be very excited about this.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
          When did they plan to release this Jon? First half of 77 too? In which case where does that fit in with other punk singles? Anyone got a timeline?

Definitely an amazing find and I think a lot of people are going to be very excited about this.
          Kev is putting together a timeline, tying up his bands and solo work, i.e. The Electric Sect, The Heat, Hobbies of Today, Eyes at Risk, Pagan Bo/Pagan Beau, and Kevin Hobbi.

I'm hoping people will go to the FB page and 'like' it, so I can work out if there is any interest, and determine how many singles to get pressed up ...

The single would have almost certainly been the first punk/new wave single issued locally, back in the day. Earliest acknowledged release in Sheffield/South Yorks is 2.3's All Time Low from March 78 (although other bands such as Cabaret Voltaire and The Future would have been privately circulating cassettes before that time too)

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

I would buy one!

Comment

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
              Mexborough, South Yorkshire's own Hobbies of Today were formed in early 1977, and had soon recorded three tracks for release as a 7" single in the first half of 1977 ... but it was not to be: shenanigans at the record pressing plant meant that the single was never issued and the master tapes were lost. All that survived was a mono copy of the final mix of the three intended tracks, on a cassette, which was left languishing in a drawer at main man Kev's home .... until now!

Plans are afoot to release these post-glam, proto-punk gems on a seven inch single. I've set up a FB page to let folk know of progress, and there's a link there to short excerpts of the tracks.

https://www.facebook.com/HobbiesOfTodayMexborough
              we already spoke about this didn't we?! best of luck mate - i'll be up for one or two
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Me too, for sure.
                Not enough focus on '77 on this site in general.
                The other greatest year imho!
                To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Update: the tracks are available to listen to in full ... And for download if you're so inclined. Vinyl definitely to follow in 2014

Filll your boots!

Comment

Update: Kev has dug out a handful of photos from his first ever gig: Rawmarsh Youth Club, Easter 1977. He's also been busy with a draft for the label and sleeve artwork, and some text for an insert. He's also uncovered a cache of badges from back in the day, and early copies of the 7" will have a badge chucked in, thus ensuring instant collectabilty

Photos on the FB page this evening.....

Comment

This is going to be a bloody great ep
                      When this was due to come out, I would have been reading this with that salty, trickling down the back of my nose, amphetamine taste.....strangely, by coincidence,reading this today, I have a similar sensation, unfortunately it's a by-product of the poxy flu....invigorating in its own way I suppose.

Comment

Draft artwork and labels

Comment

super stuff
                          Rockwell
                          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Comment

I'd have one of these..!
                              "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Working...
                              X