Black Panther / Black Power sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Panther / Black Power sounds

I've been reading a PDF copy of this remarkable new book by Rickey Vincent - and enjoying it immensely.

It got me thinking: what for you are the classic early Black Power / Black Panther records?
    Well known or more obscure.

A few that spring to mind, starting with the most blindingly obvious

Early proto-rap:

Revolutionary jazz

Pissed-off ghetto funk

Must be a million more.
    Any examples of either seminal obvious calls or lesser known gems most welcome.
    To infinity - and beyond!

The panthers actually had their own label....

Comment

I love this...first heard it on a Tom B xmas mix from a few years ago:

Comment

I have a copy of this which has a couple of nice tunes on it and is an interesting artifact in its own right
        :
        http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...mkb6o1_500.jpg

(Sorry works firewall blocks me from posting images).
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

what about this 3 minutes of gorgeousness.

I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

cheers JJ! Thread made me want to listen to one of my favourite civil rights-inspired instrumentals and this came up

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Very curious to know about more jazz and beat poetry / proto-rap from this era inspired by the whole Movement.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                Very curious to know about more jazz and beat poetry / proto-rap from this era inspired by the whole Movement.
                I like Wanda Robinson´s 2nd lp a lot (haven´t heard the first).

In general I´m far more interested in women´s stuff from this era (or to be more precise, following on from it). I read Michele Wallace´s Black Macho in the 80s, it´s a young woman´s book and she came in for a lot of flak for challenging the assumptions of her own community, but it seems very prescient now. The "black is beautiful" idea that accompanied the movement, and was addressed by women such as Nikki Giovanni, Toni Morrison and Ntozake Shange seems to have fed into later identity politics and had a far greater legacy than Panther-style separatism.

That women's tradition seems to have survived better, as well, with artists like Dana Bryant and Meshell Ndegeocello in the 90s and Jill Smith and Erykah Badu later on. Of course, that raises questions as to whether black women have been deemed as more "acceptable" by the establishment while black men are simply jail fodder, but any glance at hip hop will confirm that questions of identity and exaggerated versions of masculinity are far from obsolete.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Great proto rap/hip hop from Eugene McDaniels, well known but always worth another mention.

Not overtly Black Power, although the sleeve and Last Poets style stream of consciousness lyrics lean that way.

Comment

Ronnee Blackley (The Mum off Nightmare on Elm Street ) Did an album on ELEKTRA where she sung about murdered panther Fred Hampton. Not a right on funk fest but a lovely Graham Nash esque tune.

Elaine Brown a black panther high ranker did two albums (one on Vault one on Black forum) There are some real Heartbreakers on those LPS
                    sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the input.
                      As some of you may have noticed, some of it ended up getting amalgamated into a Shindig! piece.
                      I thought it only fair that I passed on some other bits and pieces that came my way during the thinking stage and that never made the final cut.

Stanley Crouch - Ain't No Ambulances For No Niggas Tonight

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                            Elaine Brown a black panther high ranker did two albums (one on Vault one on Black forum) There are some real Heartbreakers on those LPS
                            from seize the time album

Comment

Gary Bartz?

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X