Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booze accident. Who else has ever experienced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booze accident. Who else has ever experienced?

The thing is my bud and I got high when listening to the records at my place. Being loaded enough, I put Twin Peaks OST Lp to cradle my homie... and slipped off myself. The bottom line is that the record was spinned up to the end and my Ortofon MB5 had been "playing" the label for nearly 5 hours as my Technics SL 2000 is a non-automatic one. When awake I realized what happened and rushed to get the needle off and started examining it. Have no clue whether it could have been deteriorated. When I have a close look it seems as if (not sure) it has shortened a nick. Though the sound quality remains on the level.

Any ideas? who got over the same? Still hesitate whether the needle wants replacing or I should overlook the matter and keep it going?
    thx
    DANCE TO THE RADIO

I do this all the time. Don't worry about it too much unless your needle was too old in the first place
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I see. Won`t trouble then. The needle was pretty good when I got it and is used now as properly as possible.
      DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Fell asleep to a Snoop Dogg Cd (0n loop) once under similar circumstances.
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Sorry mate but I own one of the UK's leading hi-fi shops and this does not sound at all good to me....

First of all, you probably need to bin the record player. It is going to destroy any record you play on it now. Please do NOT think you can solve this by changing the needle. Sounds like you have blown some of the internal circuits. Most record players are factory-set to erase any record you play on them once that happens.

Second. Once you get new equipment do NOT play the LP that caused this. There is a good chance it has a 'virus'. if this gets into your record deck, good chance it will spread to your amp and speakers and that can be a very expensive business indeed.

Good luck...

(Btw Some very competitive pre Xmas deals right now on new and used hi fi systems at Stan's Stereos on Prestatyn High Street...)
          Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan View Post
            Sorry mate but I own one of the UK's leading hi-fi shops and this does not sound at all good to me....

First of all, you probably need to bin the record player. It is going to destroy any record you play on it now. Please do NOT think you can solve this by changing the needle. Sounds like you have blown some of the internal circuits. Most record players are factory-set to erase any record you play on them once that happens.

Second. Once you get new equipment do NOT play the LP that caused this. There is a good chance it has a 'virus'. if this gets into your record deck, good chance it will spread to your amp and speakers and that can be a very expensive business indeed.

Good luck...

(Btw Some very competitive pre Xmas deals right now on new and used hi fi systems at Stan's Stereos on Prestatyn High Street...)
            If this refers to me I`m sorry I didn`t get you. Have no problems with the turntable at all. It is manually operated. See the rundown.
            DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Do you have any Snoop Dogg Cds in your shop?
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

knowledge dropped

Comment

True story.

When I was a fair bit younger than I am now, me and a mate used to - euphemism incoming - "go clubbing" on a weekend.

One time, back at my flat, I crashed out on the settee. My mate was prone to sleeping on my floor.

So I'm laid on the settee and I hear "X" (let's keep his name out of this) get up and start moving around. I thought he was looking for his glasses as he's blind as a bat without 'em. But then he starts messing about with my stereo which was on the floor next to the settee. It was an old one and didn't have any screws holding it together.

Then I detect him standing still (it's dark at this point), standing over the stereo (which unbeknown to me, he has lifted the top off, turntable, record and all).

"What are you doing?" I ask, to which he calmly replies,

"Going to the toilet."

"Well go to the fucking bathroom then!!!!" I shout, unsurprisingly.

He stops urinating (how, I don't know), quietly mutters, "Okay," and goes off to the bathroom to finish his piss.

The next morning I asked him what the fuck he was doing and he had no recollection of the incident and in fact refused to believe me until I showed him the stereo and assured him I wasn't making it up.

That was about 13/14 years ago and he still has no memory of actually doing it.

Amazingly, the stereo still worked (once I reconnected the turntable) although the speaker contacts inside the case did go rusty.

That story is absolutely true.

JUST SAY NO.
                  Hull Music Archive

Comment

Originally posted by nboldock View Post
                    True story.

When I was a fair bit younger than I am now, me and a mate used to - euphemism incoming - "go clubbing" on a weekend.

One time, back at my flat, I crashed out on the settee. My mate was prone to sleeping on my floor.

So I'm laid on the settee and I hear "X" (let's keep his name out of this) get up and start moving around. I thought he was looking for his glasses as he's blind as a bat without 'em. But then he starts messing about with my stereo which was on the floor next to the settee. It was an old one and didn't have any screws holding it together.

Then I detect him standing still (it's dark at this point), standing over the stereo (which unbeknown to me, he has lifted the top off, turntable, record and all).

"What are you doing?" I ask, to which he calmly replies,

"Going to the toilet."

"Well go to the fucking bathroom then!!!!" I shout, unsurprisingly.

He stops urinating (how, I don't know), quietly mutters, "Okay," and goes off to the bathroom to finish his piss.

The next morning I asked him what the fuck he was doing and he had no recollection of the incident and in fact refused to believe me until I showed him the stereo and assured him I wasn't making it up.

That was about 13/14 years ago and he still has no memory of actually doing it.

Amazingly, the stereo still worked (once I reconnected the turntable) although the speaker contacts inside the case did go rusty.

That story is absolutely true.

JUST SAY NO.
                    The pee-proof stereo you had over there
                    DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I once crashed out a party and woke in the night desperate for a slash. I had no idea where the bathroom was, or indeed where I was, and I was absolutely busting.
                      No vases, bottles or nothing.
                      Then I saw an acoustic guitar sitting in the corner.
                      I still feel guilty about using the unknown guitarists treasured instrument for a sustained P major. .
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Funky Charly and thank you for starting the urine thread.

My contribution has--typically--the least to do with music and records. In fact there is no records or music involved in this anecdote, just urine.

Similar situation. Stayed over after a particularly heavy night at flat shared between two friends of mine and another, quite sweet, clean girl who they didn't know but had recently started renting with. She wasn't there this weekend and in the spirit of charity she offered her room to anyone who wanted to stay.

I didn't take her room but another guest did - a large, ugly man with a messy appetite.

A great weekend was had by all, and it wasn't till the Monday morning that the sweet girl confronted my friends and asked, in a quiet voice, "Do any of you know why all the clothes in my linen basket are wet?... I think they smell of piss."

After various rounds of denial and apologies from all concerned, she moved out.
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Eine, wish your pal`d had a cat back then to put blame on.
                          DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

True story: I once spent a 'mad' day on a farm somewhere in the hills of West Limerick. Having imbibed far too much of what was on offer, I began desperately seeking a private spot to empty my bladder and became increasingly agitated as my attempts to find a suitable location came to naught, my requests for help or advice from my fellow party-goers fell on deaf ears, and the internal pressure continued to mount. Suddenly I was hoisted into the air and found myself on a horse which took off across the countryside at a brisk canter, the rocking motion of which had the inevitable effect of exploding my bladder and out it came - all over my trousers, all over the saddle of the horse, all over the horses back, and all over the young teacher who had foolishly chosen me as his next victim for a horse ride. I was six.
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Is the this right thread to say that I've just shit myself?
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X