Time of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of the season

This time of year, as the last traces of summer fade and the autumn winds kick in, the skies turn a deeper shade of grey and the leaves start falling, I almost always return to four mainstays of my life.
    These are my autumnal perennials.
    What are yours?

To infinity - and beyond!

go on, melt your face.

off.

Comment

Weird, I've been listening to Lee Moses most of the day. Perhaps it is down to the changing season....

WF

Comment

Terry Reid - The River
        John Martyn - Solid Air (of course)
        in fact two new ones are working for me - Goldfrapp (gorgeous) and Elton John (surprisingly strong)
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

This album is a thing of beauty from start to finish. An uplifting tonic as the days draw in around you.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Marion Brown's "Vista" LP is a delight from start to finish, and seems to be entirely appropriate for this time of year. Apparently some people don't like it at all- I wonder what's wrong with them?

Jack Jones' "Where Love Has Gone" LP is, I think, a masterful display of melancholy, and longing, sung by a real master of his art. It reeks of Autumn, and the gentle fall of russet tinged leaves. Here's "It Never Entered My Mind", from that LP.

Without these two records my Autumn would be a sorry affair.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I know what you mean Hugh. Must be a basic human instinct to surround yourself with familiar, comfortable stuff, in anticipation of a change of unknown proportions. Personally I like a good hard winter. The sort of stuff keeping me warm will be some of the records I have had the longest and still drag out.
              Pentangle, Basket Of Light, Unhalfbricking, (must be the onset of cold weather and the hankering for chunky jumpers!)
              This reduced me to tears last night at the Albert Hall (and this was 1st tune in the set! I was a blubbering wreck by the time of Wooden Ships) at one of the greatest shows I've ever witnessed. It's been off the shelf pretty much non-stop for well over 30 years anyway.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-3302598-1326081988.jpeg

Ralph Vaughan Williams gets a regular outing, and, maybe not so coincidentally I'm reading Scott's "The Voyage Of The Discovery".
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

you're spot on hugh!
                  blue afternoon and gene clark had many spins here this season.

also these:

Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Yes to all of the above mate!

Have just been reviewing the Dino Valente for Shindig!
                    It's just getting its first ever vinyl reissue on Tompkins Square.
                    What an utterly jaw-dropping record it is.
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                      Yes to all of the above mate!

Have just been reviewing the Dino Valente for Shindig!
                      It's just getting its first ever vinyl reissue on Tompkins Square.
                      What an utterly jaw-dropping record it is.
                      weird this hasn't been reissued before!
                      wonderful record indeed.
                      looking forward to read your review hugh!

Comment

This has gently nudged its way into the favourites whatever the season. But it does have a particularly autumnal feel. Criminally overlooked lp. The whole album is great.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
                        That keeps you from being a part of it all
                        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

sounds right up my street!
                          and autumnal as well.
                          thank you!

Comment

this reminds me of my Autumn in NYC as few years ago - cheap as chips and gorgeous melancholy
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                              I almost always return to four mainstays of my life.
                              Nucleus - Elastic Rock

Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (played this morning for the 1000th time)

Nic Jones - Ballads and songs

Steeleye Span - Hark the village waits. (played two days ago)

Autumn is folk music time, Pentagles and Fairports.

Not sure why recently I've been listening to the albums I've had since year dot, finding it harder as i get older to be as adventurous as I once was (ooer missus) its a getting hard to find an album I can remember being blown away by that I've recently discovered a new. Shame on me.

Perhaps it links in with that sentimentality music time and a place thing as discussed on here somewhere before. All of the above records do that.
                              -
                              You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                              but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Working...
                              X