Mark Wirtz stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Wirtz stuff

Can't remember anyone mentioning him round here but I guess with people being into their pyschy/easy stuff there must be some Mark Wirtz fans around. I'm a big fan of 'A Teenage Opera' and the couple of tracks he has on a Contour I see relatively often (Samantha Jones, 'My Way') and the incredible (and incredibly cheap) RPM sampler - http://www.cherryred.co.uk/rpm/artis...spetsounds.htm. But I also have a couple of his tracks off two (I think) Telefunken samplers. The one I've just beeen listening to is 'Snake In The Grass' which it says is off the wonderfully named 'Come Back & Shake Me: Teenage Dancing Made In England' which seems to be on German Decca.

Anyone know anything about this German Wirtz stuff? Is it repackaged English albums? Is it any good? What other Wirtz would you recommend?
    Mixes, compilations and the like

There were (I think) two Wirtz LPs on Telefunken, to the best of my knowledge they were Germany only, but as is often the way with these things, I suspect a few copies may have made their way over here.

Apparently, some of the Wirtz originals on these LPs were offcuts from the original Teenage Opera, and I believe these appear on the RPM Teenage Opera CD.

Snake In The Grass is a cover of a Herman's Hermits hit of the time - I think I've got the same Telefunken samplers you have!

Comment

Aha! I may well try and track down those German things if its what's on the RPM CD. Really love that. Cheers Lord T.

Anyone got much by The Syndicats, who I believe Wirtz produced? Like what I've heard.

Comment

I've a great Lp called 'Wirtz and music' which I've seen issues of from nearly all European countries - all with different titles and different covers and different labels! one issue is called 'Latin a go go on Ember, one's called Smooth N Easy, and ones called Soul Music (Italian)- but I think they're all the same . It's the one with Comin Home Baby, watermelon man etc. Great stuff.
        Come back and shake me is on German Decca.
        Last edited by mik; 22-02-2005, 06:40 PM.

Comment

There was an LP on Studio 2 as well, 'Mood Mosaic' - never seen one, meself, but that seems to be the way of things at the moment!

I've got The Syndicats first (only?) TV appearance on tape, from The Beat Room (BBC 2, 1964) - I thought they were a Joe Meek thing, but they could have done stuff with Wirtz too.

Comment

I've seen that as well. On one of my infrequent trips to London they were showing a really great bunch of 60s music TV at the NFT. Top stuff.

Yeah, beg your pardon Lord T. Syndicats were produced by Meek but they had links to Tomorrow and Teenage Opera (and Yes!) - http://www.stevehowe.com/sh_bio1960.html.

Comment

What's the rest of Come Back and Shake Me like Mik?

Comment

Blimey - never knew it was Steve Howe in the Syndicats! Incidentally, check out Johnny Harris' 'All To Bring You Morning' for some Vulture friendly Howe action!

Comment

What's the rest of Come Back and Shake Me like Mik?
                  fuck knows, not got it

Comment

Thought that was your pic

Comment

no just robbed pics off the internet. I've only got 'Wirtz and music' - I think its the US issue.

Comment

check what he's up to now:
                        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0007735DK/

heard the first track (i think) from this last night in the basement of HMV Oxford street (some good stuff down there, shame about the rest of the shop!) and it sounded good. early 80s New York kind of thing, with steel drums (or similar) and female vocals. Bill would be able to say what it sounded like, my mind is blank... no idea what the rest is like

Comment

Just found this thread. I'm preparing to post a review in my new chart-thread on Wirtz's lp "Balloon" from 1972. Great record!
                          http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

Tracked 'Come Back & Shake Me' being sold on Ebay by Prawncocktailcrisps about a month ago intending to buy it.
                            Sadly auction went far too high. And a large number were bidding on it too.
                            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Is the track "Snake in the grass" the old Dave Dee, Dozy etc. hit ?

Comment

Working...
                              X