No announcement yet.

There's millions of them over there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's millions of them over there...

Anybody shelled out on a record only to find that it's cheap as chips in other countries.
    For example: I traded some goodies for the Tom Brock album when in the UK but quickly found three in Germany - German pressing but the same album. Same with American Gypsy.
    Also Tullio de Piscopo's balearic anthem 'Stop' cost me $$$ in London about ten years ago. I get to Europe and find that I'm tripping over them...
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

I paid the going rate (£25-30ish) for the ‘Titanic’ album when it first stated to gain a buzz.
    Went to Paris a week or two latter and found 2 copies in Chez Yori (sp?) for like 2 euros each!
    Its like they couldn’t give them away or something.

And I just paid a silly price for a Japanese animation record that I know I could find for cheaper over there. Wouldn’t have been so bad but the dealer insisted on a Western Union Monet transfer and that was like £12 or something stupid.

Comment

Don't start me.
      MODZ
      Hero No.9
      Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
      THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Go on... (places SARGE in a cage and starts prodding him with a sharp stick...)

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
          Don't start me.
          Ah go on lets.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

you first mark, i must say this stick proddin' aint all that ungroovy at all.
            hey sie.....down a bit fool.
            MODZ
            Hero No.9

Comment

Tell us about paying 20 quid for a James Last record - it'll make us feel better about our own failings.

I think my worst examples are moe cases of hundreds of shit records which turned out not to be worth the several euro I spent rather than a single headline case.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

The worst was funk 45s pre-ebay. I remember spending years in the early-mid 90s looking for totally not rare things like Louis Cachere 'The hen', Johnny Otis ' Keep the faith', Leon Haywood 'soul cargo', Leon & Burners 'whiplash' the list goes on and on...basically if Soulbowl didn't have, you were stuck.
                They're all over in America - 1000s of em.
                Same for a lot of euro 45s - i honestly spent 3 years trying to find an Ivor Raymonde coke 45 after hearing Andy Lewis play it at Blow up mid 90s. Ended up paying £50 and then found 3 in charity shops in the year after
                same goes for 'Strip Poker at caesars palace, some Nino Ferrer etc.
                I dont think a lot of Uk dealers were looking very hard for stuff.
                One thing you can say for Ebay - it's found out what's rare and what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mik
                  The worst was funk 45s pre-ebay. I remember spending years in the early-mid 90s looking for totally not rare things like Louis Cachere 'The hen', Johnny Otis ' Keep the faith', Leon Haywood 'soul cargo', Leon & Burners 'whiplash' the list goes on and on...basically if Soulbowl didn't have, you were stuck.
                  They're all over in America - 1000s of em.
                  Same for a lot of euro 45s - i honestly spent 3 years trying to find an Ivor Raymonde coke 45 after hearing Andy Lewis play it at Blow up mid 90s. Ended up paying £50 and then found 3 in charity shops in the year after
                  same goes for 'Strip Poker at caesars palace, some Nino Ferrer etc.
                  I dont think a lot of Uk dealers were looking very hard for stuff.
                  One thing you can say for Ebay - it's found out what's rare and what isn't.
                  have to agree with mik in that ebay has exposed quite a few hens teeth. Awhile back i paid thru the nose for a zappatta schmitt 45 i'd been chasin'....picture the scene......landed that bad boy offa a guy who used to work at president records, his own copy, minter, wanted a ton, got it for £60....won it on ebay soon after for 4.99.....................DOLLARS!!!!!
                  Theres always an element of savvy and luck in the bay i know but that shit hurts me bad......ho hum eh?

MODZ
                  Hero No.9

Comment

Wow that's nasty. Never been stung that bad but I've easily wasted that much on lame -o records at least you have one good one

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
                      Wow that's nasty. Never been stung that bad but I've easily wasted that much on lame -o records at least you have one good one
                      well if i can make others feel better in the knowledge that it did not happen to them then my job here is done. *wimpers*
                      MODZ
                      Hero No.9

Comment

I bought some James Brown lps in Morocco - the vinyl is Ex but the sleeves are badly faded and they were €13 each but I've seen some of them on ebay for $10 in better nick.

I recently ordered a Boredoms CD that is only available on import from Japan so I was expecting to find it to be released here afterwards for a fraction of the $35 I was being charged. But in fact there were no copies left there and the only ones I've found are now $45.

That help?

John Peel

Comment

A couple of times ive been looking for a particular record for AGES, I finally find it on ebay and pay too much money for it, then like a week later there are copies on ebay going for no money at all. grrrrr! the irony
                          Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
                            I recently ordered a Boredoms CD that is only available on import from Japan so I was expecting to find it to be released here afterwards for a fraction of the $35 I was being charged. But in fact there were no copies left there and the only ones I've found are now $45. That help?
                            One of my DJ buddies is a total Boredoms nerd and spends ages looking for that stuff. It's only a slight exaggeration to say the reason he's doing Japanese evening classes is so he can understand Japanese music sites.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm doing my CD swap mix with him. So prepare yourself.
                            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I've only started on ebay in the last 12 months and agree totally with the comments about "rare" records. Always wanted The Prunes first two LP's and The Count Five but didn't want to pay the £50+ charged at record fairs. Ebay has them on every day of the week for $10/15!

Don't even want to think about what I've paid for things over the years but UK Motown records spring to mind ie "£35 in the book, right I'll do that for £25". Oh, it seems you can get sealed US pressings for $5!!

UK dealers have been taking the piss for way too long!!!!
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X