New CAN boxset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CAN boxset

So i read in the latest RC magazine that there was a new CAN boxset coming out with 17 LPs in it...

I couldn't find much info knocking about on this ole interweb thing although the crazy folks over on amazon seem to be listing it for pre order for £437.99 ! I'll type that again just so you don't think its a typo...

£437.99

Given that they have yusef/cat stevens down as members of the band on the pre order page maybe they have screwed up the price too?

(i'd post the link to it, but being new not sure if such things are allowed... from their homepage search "can vinyl boxset"...)

Anyone know if this is the real price?

J

i read the house rules...

seems i'm ok to post the link to it since i ain't trying to promote or sell it to nobody... please correct me if i'm wrong

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Box-Se...+vinyl+box+set

Comment

Looks like a legit release - http://mute.com/mute/17-piece-vinyl-...out-2-december
      but I can't see any confirmation of the price on Mute's site. 17 albums at £20 a pop would still come in at a "mere" £340 so it seems completely excessive if that is correct.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

thanks bestdressedchicken

Comment

Wow, that's way too much money for me... Maybe the "linen wrapped box" is really expensive to produce?

I think I'll try to complete my collection of those early 80's Spoon vinyl reissues instead. People in the know say they compare favourably to the original first pressings (if you care about those sort of things).

Comment

£299.99 at spincds.com...

Comment

Originally posted by Quivering Crumpet View Post
              Wow, that's way too much money for me... Maybe the "linen wrapped box" is really expensive to produce?

I think I'll try to complete my collection of those early 80's Spoon vinyl reissues instead. People in the know say they compare favourably to the original first pressings (if you care about those sort of things).
              I'm not in the know, but take it from me, the originals sound better. Thing is, if you get a Spoon copy, that's the one you get used to, and that's all that matters really. I got used to the ogs, so when I heard the reissues, the differences in sound were apparent. Maybe I shouldn't have said "better"(that sounds kind of smug), just different. I'm just biased I suppose. Happy hunting.
              Back to the original thread, £300 is too much IMO.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Stupid thing. With all(?) Can records easily available as later pressings and reissues anyway - what is the purpose of this box? One live LP which will not be available elsewhere? That you basically pay £300 for (plus get a lot "spares") - I don't think so. I'm glad I'm not a Can completist because this, I feel, is aimed directly at making Can completists fork out lots of money for an unnecessary reissue to get theior hands on one exclusive live recording (recorded after their prime as well) - or am I missing some point here?
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I'm with you there Brainbomb. Same thing happened with 13th Floor Elevators (continual repackaging, lavish box sets). Starts to make one feel a bit done over by the record companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                    Stupid thing. With all(?) Can records easily available as later pressings and reissues anyway - what is the purpose of this box?
                    Ahh... consumerism
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      I'm not in the know, but take it from me, the originals sound better. Thing is, if you get a Spoon copy, that's the one you get used to, and that's all that matters really. I got used to the ogs, so when I heard the reissues, the differences in sound were apparent. Maybe I shouldn't have said "better"(that sounds kind of smug), just different. I'm just biased I suppose. Happy hunting.
                      You are absolutely correct, sir. I hadn't really bothered to do a close comparison before but just did a forensic analysis on a couple of tracks from Tago Mago. I won't bore you with all the details and turn this forum into Audiophile Geekfest 2000, but I listened to six different vinyl and CD releases and the original LP definitely gets the edge. My 80's Spoon reissue sounds really bassy and funny. Maybe I'll get that box then, assuming they master it correctly. Or I'll sell an organ or two on the black market and get the OGs.

Comment

Ah, yes but if you insist on hunting down the OGs then the poor performers WILL NOT GET A PENNY! Is that what you want? Is it? YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE BUYING BOOTLEGS.
                        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                          Ah, yes but if you insist on hunting down the OGs then the poor performers WILL NOT GET A PENNY! Is that what you want? Is it? YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE BUYING BOOTLEGS.

Comment

I wonder if they'll do the first version of Monster Movie.

My mate's record shop just sold a VG original copy for £1250 so this box set will be a snip for some folks.

I remember thinking the Sandy Denny box set was stupidly expensive and thinking 'I'll wait till it comes down a bit' - it didn't.

It's easy to forget that there are a lot of very wealthy record collectors out there who don't think twice about spending hundreds of pounds on stuff like this.
                            www.45cat.com
                            http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Good luck to them. Wish I was in that situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X