Recordloft Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recordloft Berlin

Dunno if there's been anything about this on here before (apologies if so) but it looks pretty good.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/23/i-...d-record-shop/

"nothing is priced. instead, when you bring your records to the counter, the shop’s owner simply checks discogs, and offers you them for the lowest price listed on the website."

i can see the owner's logic behind this because it saves him having to price everything and fluctuations will be accounted for...but i hate it when shops do this.
    the first thing i want to know when digging is how much stuff costs. it also means there's no chance of grabbing a bargain.

i can see that "lowest price" idea leading to argy-bargy about grading too, ie. shop guy says it's NM but you say it's VG+ (no pun intended).
    then again it's his shop and he can always tell you to fuck off.
    "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

1000s of house records priced after discogs? Here I come!
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I went to a shop in Paris where the guy was pricing stuff by looking at discogs and then knocking a couple of euros off (on a ten euro record say). I don't think that was cos he thought it was a cool, fun thing to do though, I got the impression he was just too lazy to go round and price everything that was in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
          I went to a shop in Paris where the guy was pricing stuff by looking at discogs and then knocking a couple of euros off (on a ten euro record say). I don't think that was cos he thought it was a cool, fun thing to do though, I got the impression he was just too lazy to go round and price everything that was in stock.
          Well places like that are always fun to spend an afternoon should you have one. Her says this though :

"“I want to grow it slowly,” he claims. “I don’t want to be confronted with hordes of people tomorrow"

Well he should consider not having articles about his place on the internet then.
          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I hate places and sellers that have no pricetags - no matter wether they use discogs, popsike, the Book or their gut feeling to quote a price when asked. At record fairs I have lately encountered a dealer who stopped pricing a while ago so most of his stuff is unpriced. I once heard him say to someone that it's so boring to price records he just stopped. This summer I started looking before realizing whose crates I was going through - and there were some interesting looking pieces but because they were unpriced I just stopped looking because as boring as he thinks pricing is, as boring do I find it to pull up a record at a time and shout "what does this cost?" then wait for him to ponder and look at condition and ponder some more.

If I lived in Germany I might go see what his rarest records are - then put up some discogs sales for 10% of the going price, purchase and take down the discogs sales. Risking only a discogs ban for not fulfilling the sale, but I don't sell or buy there anyway so it doesn't much matter to me....
            "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
            and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
              If I lived in Germany I might go see what his rarest records are - then put up some discogs sales for 10% of the going price, purchase and take down the discogs sales.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

thats what i was thinking as well.

i never bother with un priced records. my mind is set to find a bargain.
                pulling a record out and asking the price, makes the seller aware that your interested. so boosts the price.
                at a boot sale recently i found a hendrix comp from germany, not priced. i guessed a quid he said £8! as if. i put it back and he dropped it to £5. errr no thanks. i dont want it at all now.
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                  If I lived in Germany I might go see what his rarest records are - then put up some discogs sales for 10% of the going price, purchase and take down the discogs sales. Risking only a discogs ban for not fulfilling the sale, but I don't sell or buy there anyway so it doesn't much matter to me....
                  I suggested this as a strategy whilst chatting with Col Wolfe and Saint Jude last weekend.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

What a total wanker, he's opened a record shop miles away from my house (wrong country in fact) and he hasn't even bothered to price the records. It's almost as bad as a record library! Sorry for mentioning it.

Comment

I had a similar experience in Italy the other week after spending a while trawling through a load of unpriced (mainly crap) records.

Unfortunately the shop owner used the highest Discogs price as his guide
                      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan_smackhead View Post
                        "nothing is priced. instead, when you bring your records to the counter, the shop’s owner simply checks discogs, and offers you them for the lowest price listed on the website.".
                        No, "the shop’s owner simply checks Discogs, and offers you them for the lowest price listed on the website (with a minimum of five euros)."
                        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

^^^^ it didn't say five euros when I posted last night. it's been changed sometime today on the fact site.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan_smackhead View Post
                            ^^^^ it didn't say five euros when I posted last night. it's been changed sometime today on the fact site.
                            Its a pretty big caveat.

Comment

yup, if you look in the comments section fact mag apologise for leaving it out originally (but only after a punter had pointed it out).

Comment

Working...
                              X