Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of Decca Records from the 1960s and 1970s...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of Decca Records from the 1960s and 1970s...?

So the British Library occasionally support research projects on their archives, in combination with Universities, sometimes sponsoring a PhD student to carry out their own research projects (there is one of these going on right now with *a forum member*).

Sometimes the BL nominate an area they would like to see research done on (eg the letters of A Famous Poet, or whatever)

A colleague of mine visited them this week and they told her they wanted to sponsor something on "the Decca archive from the sixties and seventies". I asked her if she was sure that was what they said, and she said yes. (!)

So I post this here to remark on a) the strange ways of "research" b) stimulate some kind of discussion on what you'd do if you had the time and energy c) in case someone is actually interested in finding out more about this (in which case pm me and I will put you in touch)

Here's an example of a previous British Library project on Decca that made this very forum.

And here's a list of Decca labels from Discogs:

Ace Of Clubs, Ace Of Diamonds, Ace Of Hearts, American Series, Beltona, Brunswick, Chapter 1, Children's Series, Cinema Gala, Coral, Decca Eclipse, Decca Entartete Musik, Decca Jazz, Decca Jubilee Series, Decca Ovation, Decca Records, Decca Studios, Decca Studios, Hollywood, Decca Studios, Lagos, Decca Studios, New York, Decca Studios, Paris, Decca Tollington Park Studios, Decca Viva!, Disques Decca, Double Decca, Edison Bell Winner, Faith Series, Gold Label Series, Gouden Favorieten Parade, Headline (2), Kathleen Ferrier Edition, L'Oiseau-Lyre, Legendary Legends Performances, London Classics, MAM, Meister Der Musik, Nova Series, Personality Series, Phase 4 Stereo Spectacular, Point Music, Qualiton (3), Rex, Sepia Series, Serenata, Specialty Series, St. George International, The British Music Collection, The World Of (3), Threshold Records, Vocalion (2), Vocalion (3), Vogue Records Limited, York Records
    I would do a stylistic analysis of the blurbs on the back of Phase 4 LPs, of course.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

What exactly is in the archives? i've seen the microfiches of catalogues and discography stuff and they obviously must have very decent runs of the singles and lps - but beyond that i don't know what's in there that could be used in a way that hasn't been used before by reissue labels and people who have written books on decca artists
    Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Shouldnt Deram be on that list too? Oh and I'd probably find out what the hell "Decca Entartete Musik" is all about.
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Deram should be on that list.

Originally posted by chimptown View Post
        What exactly is in the archives? i've seen the microfiches of catalogues and discography stuff and they obviously must have very decent runs of the singles and lps - but beyond that i don't know what's in there that could be used in a way that hasn't been used before by reissue labels and people who have written books on decca artists
        There's shit loads of Decca associated materials in the catalogue but as you said 60s/70s is well picked over by music biz. I would assume this would be an associated collection not-yet catalogued. A producer or recording studio archive? I'll find out.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Didn't Jonathan King run it twice in the 70s?
          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Found out about this. They do want to sponsor a project on Decca in the 60s/70s, focusing specifically on production techniques, investigating an archive that hasn't really been looked at yet.

It's all classical music though.

Comment

Working...
            X