Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSC 2013 : 7th Sept : Wolfe Brothers & The A12 Suffolk Corridor

Brothers Wolfe CSC 2013: the A12 Suffolk Corridor

As Team Wolfe and Pitch rinsed Ipswich last year and Pitch dealt with Woodbridge in a previous year, TW™ decided to cover the rest of the A12 Suffolk Corridor….

1 > Wickham Market: no charity shops. Not a good start.

2 > Framlingham: 2 charity shops, a world famous motorcycle dealer and a castle.
    Finds: a Spector-esque sounding Give-A-Disc flexi, a glam thing on Antic and a Xian 7” shrouded in murder mystery – check out the link provided by a 45catter: http://www.45cat.com/record/crsp2007

3 > Saxmundham: 3 charity shops (2 for horses) and a second CSC showing for the Xian ‘Look & Live’ (also seen on Sie & Will’s venture). Picked up an Eddie Graham Sound 7” (turd), an early SRT EP by Jon Betmead and ‘Witch Woman’ by Nightmare.

4 > Leiston: 4 charity shops here. The urine stench radiating from Margaret’s opening is eminently stronger than most chazzas I’ve encountered. Found something RG Jones Oak related here. Not the homegrown Wild Oats EP but John Boulter’s ‘On Wings Of Song’. It stinks only slightly less than Margarets.

5 > Aldeburgh: 2 charity shops and a pop-up record store. Nothing to be had here. Record shop pricey (but open to negotiation) and he doesn’t like dealing with 45s. What kind of record shop doesn’t deal in 7”s FFS?

6 > Westleton: no charity shops but 2 record dealers. Book man is stupidly expensive and looks too much like the Reverend Henry Kane for comfort. JJ and his marvellous shed is a completely different story. A lovely chap with loads of interesting records. I nabbed 2 JA reggaes, a MoonPeople and what I think is the first 7” to be released on the Ipswich Hillside label.

7 > Halesworth: 2 charity shops, no records. Hideous town… birthplace of the NF and riddled with psychobillies in the eighties.

8 > Blythburgh: no shops but an important place in East Anglian folklore. Please refer to the many stories of Black Shuck (also refered to in Ian & Hayden’s CSC – check out the Bungay bookshop) or just read/listen to the story via the platform of hair metal: Lowie’s Darkness. The church door was locked so no pic showing the mark of the Hell Hound but check out the incredibly creepy village sign.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRY-jxKuqA
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/darkness/blackshuck.html

9 > Beccles: 8 charity shops here and I took away 2 classic jazzfunkers on 7” (Geraldine Hunt/Hiroshi Fukumura) and 3 LPs between them – Harmonizers (purely for the cover, you understand), Hillside related Tunetwisters and Dave Pope on Myrrh (meh). Also shown is a pic of Tilneys Gunsmiths, where I purchased my first ever Black Widow catapult (circa’85). I also present imagery of the town’s famous tower, which sports clocks on the East, South and West facing sides only (as it is well known that the habitants of Norfolk cannot tell the time). I attended High School in Beccles and so did Jon Brooks (Wooly).

10 > Wangford: a petrol station that sell records. Yes, you read correctly a box of 60 LPs for a fiver. Next to it, a box of rarer LPs (56 LPs for a fiver). On the display: 10 Abba LPs for £15 (or £3 each). Hardcore dealer. His backroom office (no photos allowed) is chocca with shelved LPs and boxes of 45s. We went through the whole lot last year and couldn’t face it again. He also has a lovely Leslie 900 wedged in here. The proprietor, who is the spitting image of Greengrass from Heartbeat, has bad blood with me but doesn’t know it. The story revolves around a broken down Vespa in pre-mobile phone days and his refusal to let me use his landline to ring the RAC/my dad. Wangford Wanker.

11 > Lowestoft: The base of my formative years and a town in steady demise since the withdrawal of the trawler industry and related frozen/tinning factories. Hard times mean charity shops a-go-go, so every cloud and all that…. We visited around 21 shops. There were more but time was getting on and doors were closing. Anyway, finds of the day came from Sense. The Hard Travellin’ Flams Ltd is a very rare item (99 copies pressed) in good nick and with a sleeve. Unfortunately, this one had neither attributes. Also purchased from this shop was Dave West & The Cripple Creek on the Map label but recorded at…. Hillside! Also, a bizarre souvenir record relating to a Canadian snowmobile driver – info and an interview here but the best bit is the music on the Bside (a youtube clip will appear soon) and a Freddie Corless private press. Bizarrely, Freddie’s picsleeve and signed photo appear to show different people?!?!?!?!? The Listers Guitars shop used to be Lawrence Green Tailors, the place where I had my first tailored suit knocked up (blue mohair, covered buttons, ticket pockets, slit/buttons at hem etc). Little was I to know, until Hayden sent me a link a couple of years ago, that Lawrence Green’s was the hub of a localised late 50s/early 60s fashion trend: The Dockside Dandies/Fisherboys. Across the road from LG’s is a Sally Army where my last purchases of the day were located: a 12” promo from popular local beat combo Catherine Wheel and a sweet little 7” on the Jonalco label. I’m trying to convince myself that the Southgreen Recorders recordings came to fruition at Summerisle primary school.

12 > The Records:

13 > THE END
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Nice - couple of fun glam crunchers there in NIGHTMARE and FANCY.

Good photomontaging skills too.
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Nice! How the hell did you manage to do all that in one day??

What I like best - almost all the town names sound like they come straight outta a UK 70s occult horror movie.
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
        Nice! How the hell did you manage to do all that in one day??
        I know - it wasn't as much fun as last years Ipswich one to be honest as it was a furious pace - by the time we arrived in Lowestoft, many of the shops were closing

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
        What I like best - almost all the town names sound like they come straight outta a UK 70s occult horror movie.
        Westleton is one mile from Dunwich!

Comment

I love those places - fantastic road trip... Blythburgh Church is magnificent - especially when you add the location. As for the black dog - check out this novelization. I've seen concerts there which have been magical. Yoxford used to have my favourite rambling secondhand bookshop - probably long gone.... And I love that chapel bookshop with records at Westleton - had a long dig through the records with cups of tea in good supply - and yes you do need to haggle the prices down to reasonable levels.... I'm intrigued by the second collector there - that looks good - I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm there with a car. Framlingham castle has a great audioguide - providing the sounds of battles, medieval characters and music brought to life like a 70s / 80s public information history film.

Anyway - a lovely report!
          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post

Westleton is one mile from Dunwich!

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
              Lovely!

For those of you who are unaware of Dunwich, it was once the stronghold base of the East Angles and for many decades was larger and of higher import than London. Most of the city now lies beneath the waves and it is said on some nights, you can hear the church bells ringing. Such occasions are harbingers of doom and the local fishermen will refuse to set sail the following morn.

Comment

Winter strip down
                I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Freddie Corless pic sleeve looks like a tanned Chuckle Brother!

Comment

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...ps46117a78.jpg

How did you get a picture of JJ without a cigarette in his mouth!!

Comment

Having visited this part of the world for the first time this Summer, this made for an interesting read, many thanks.

Loved the photo presentation, the folk lore, the village signs and the personal tidbits, all makes for a top notch CSC, If I get the chance I might try and do one myself, albeit late in the season.

You also seem to have had reasonable luck, I'm envious of your finds.

I'm off to consult my "Lore of the Land" book (recommended to me by Eine) on the legends of East Anglia...
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                        2 > Framlingham: 2 charity shops, a world famous motorcycle dealer and a castle.
                        Finds: a Spector-esque sounding Give-A-Disc flexi, a glam thing on Antic and a Xian 7” shrouded in murder mystery – check out the link provided by a 45catter: http://www.45cat.com/record/crsp2007
                        Intrigued by the murder mystery - but no sniff of an answer why on Google.......

Also in that newspaper link - here's a great ad for a film I now definitely want to see:

There's even a soundtrack LP

Comment

A lovely read, thanks. I love Marie Elene on the Jon Betmead and put it on a mix I did of private and small label folk. Wonderful stuff.
                          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Saxmundham's coat of arms has two sheep jumping over a cow. Is that a local thing?
                            https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                            http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                            https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                            https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                              Saxmundham's coat of arms has two sheep jumping over a cow. Is that a local thing?
                              No, that can happen anywhere, sheep can get quite frisky, although it may have something to do in this case with nearby Sizewell Power station.

A superb entry, some familiar spots and some of I've never heard of - no-one ever KNOWS Suffolk, you only think you do. Brilliant.
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X