"Funky" latin music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Funky" latin music

I know, I know - awful thread title... but that's just it, I don't know any better.

I've long been slightly confused with genres and sub genres of Latin music and how there are catagorised... I mean what's the difference between Boogaloo and shingaling? I think I like both, but I'm not sure I could take the "Pepsi challenge" with them?!

I know what I like when I hear it, obviously but my efforts to track down more of this sort of thing almost always goes awry, and I get the impression It's because I've not got a firm grip of what I'm looking for...

So can anybody point me to a breakdown of different types of latin music & genres, essential compilations , and more specifically can you recommend any of what I would called in my ignorance "Funky latin music". I guess I'm looking for dancefloor friendly stuff...

Thanks in advance...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I'm in the same boat as you.

But here's a fave of mine:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I thought they were the same thing. Who was it on here made that excellent series of boogaloo CDRs a few years ago?

Comment

I´m not certain, but I reckon there was an R&B dance called the boogaloo that was popular around the same time as the shing-a-ling. A C Reed´s Boogaloo Tramp is an example of a tune that seems to have very little relation to the latin stuff that came out of NY, and I can´t remember shing-a-ling being a term used much by NY latin musicians
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

For New York latin funk from the Fania group of labels (Fania, Cotique, Tico, Vaya) these 3 volumes should be your first port of call Fuz. They opened my ears to that whole scene - well put together with excellent sleeve notes. I started buying loads of Fania LPs after hearing these, but you do end up with a lot of one-trackers. The albums usually follow the same format: each one seems to have some trad latin stuff, some syrupy ballads sung by a guy in a frilly shirt and tux, then there'll often be one or two tracks with an english title that deliver the goods.

Comment

Si Cheeba.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
              A C Reed´s Boogaloo Tramp is an example of a tune that seems to have very little relation to the latin stuff that came out of NY...
              Of course, the word boogaloo could rapidly have been misappropriated (is that the point you're making?) to hijack the trend and sell records. Latin soul is often used as an interchangeable term for boogaloo.

It was Si Cheeba with the Boogaloo CDs. And Bongolia's your man for dance crazes (I'm sure there's others on the board, too)
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                Of course, the word boogaloo could rapidly have been misappropriated (is that the point you're making?) to hijack the trend and sell records. Latin soul is often used as an interchangeable term for boogaloo.
                I genuinely don´t know. Shing-a-ling certainly doesn´t seem latin-derived to me because the word has no Spanish equivalent like bugalú, and the sh- and free standing -ng sounds don´t really exist in Spanish. but then all the young Puerto Rican boogaloo musicians in NY were bilingual, anyway. .
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  This is great, I'm looking for more stuff like this... I bet it's expensive!

More stuff like this...

Electric Latin Soul - Flash & the dynamics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteP6vu37HY

My baby loves to boogaloo - The Emperors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4-rAL-qHA0

Boogaloo party - The Flamingoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1j4MGF6X4

Shu fly shu! - Ricky & Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT82XpBSIvk

I dunno am I actually looking for funk influenced by latin / boogaloo?
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Great thread Fuz mate, like you I ain't got a clue how to categorise this type of stuff. Perhaps this could fit the bill or not, anyway I really like it, and when I play it out other people seem to dig it -

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                      This is great, I'm looking for more stuff like this... I bet it's expensive!
                      Great track...Should be a cheapie Fuz mate, around a tenner should get you a copy.

Comment

Liking all of these, thanks... much more than the Fania and Cotique stuff which is too erm... "latiny" for what I'm looking for

B-Boy latin may be what I'm after, I certainly want it to have a driving dancefloor beat.
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Try our very own Eclipsechaser's swap CDs for more Latin dancefloor beat

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                            B-Boy latin may be what I'm after, I certainly want it to have a driving dancefloor beat.
                            I'm probably way of the mark, but I've alway felt the percussion on here gives it a Latin feel, great track anyway -

Comment

Working...
                            X