Recommend me some stuff that sounds like Open My Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some stuff that sounds like Open My Eyes

As a died in the wool soul and funk boy with a collection comprising - at a guess - a good 80% black music, I have to say that Open My Eyes by The Nazz is possibly my favourite pop single of all times. I quite like classic Garage stuff (Sonics live a few weeks ago were excellent!) but I've struggled to find anything that pushes all the buttons quite like that particular tune. I listened to some other Nazz songs but didn't feel they were in the same league. Don't ask me to say whether if it's the fuzzy guitar, the beach boy-esque harmonies or the stop/start riff on the intro. I don't know, but I just never get bored with it and need to hear records like that. On 45 naturally.

Thanks amigos.

Please do not throw stones at this sign

new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
          Ha! Nearly mentioned that too - the original mix, I mean. Wasn't there a reissue LP with free single? Wouldn't mind one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by mistergodzilla View Post
            Ha! Nearly mentioned that too - the original mix, I mean. Wasn't there a reissue LP with free single? Wouldn't mind one of those.
            Yeah on Acme but you really need the Soundhog 7"

Comment

The Eyes and Cain records, although good songs, just don't have that energy to me. Despite the dirty sounding guitar and muddy drums + organ here's also a sort of 'cleanness' to Open My Eyes that I find appealing. Not in music generally, just in that tune. I realise I'm not doing very well here.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                Yeah on Acme but you really need the Soundhog 7"
                Of course - didn't mean to be rude Col

Comment

Comment

God no - not Kiss. Far too rock for my delicate sensibilities. Sorry.

I'm also begining to realise I may have made a mistake by joining the CD swap...

Comment

Comment

I think I understand now. There's nothing else that sounds like it

Comment

Originally posted by mistergodzilla View Post
                          I think I understand now. There's nothing else that sounds like it
                          but Kiss is it!

Comment

The reason this is going to cause some headscratching is that the Nazz 45 sits on its own really. I've lived with it for many years, first picking it up on the Nuggets comp back in nineteen blah de blah, and it stood out as something very different from anything else on that fine compilation. Still does. Comparisons with the start of Can't Explain are probably justified, but he definitely took that and ran with it in a new direction. For starters all I can offer is the inspiration. You flagging this up has thrown into light what a unique 45 it is.

Here's one I've just picked up which has a similar "energy" if you like. Bit of fuzz, bit of a groover,so it might tick a couple of boxes

Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

If you don't already know it you should like this slightly later version -

This might also work for you -

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                              X