Totally stupid newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally stupid newbie question

Please forgive me - I've never been part of the DJ culture...
    I have a vague notion of the meaning of this word, but please someone just clarify it for me...
    The word is.... "breaks" (stupid huh?)
    Ok, really, I guess I know what this is but... what I'm not so sure about is the phrase "open breaks" - that is the one that confuses me...
    Is is the same thing? Or what's the difference?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Open breaks = nice drums without much melodic stuff, even sans bassline, so you can juggle/mix/sample the beat and "create" something new and maybe even improved.

Am I wrong?
    www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
      Please forgive me - I've never been part of the DJ culture...
      I have a vague notion of the meaning of this word, but please someone just clarify it for me...
      The word is.... "breaks" (stupid huh?)
      Ok, really, I guess I know what this is but... what I'm not so sure about is the phrase "open breaks" - that is the one that confuses me...
      Is is the same thing? Or what's the difference?
      that usually means a break that's just the drums on their own....
      http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by sport casual
        Open breaks = nice drums without much melodic stuff, even sans bassline, so you can juggle/mix/sample the beat and "create" something new and maybe even improved.

Am I wrong?
        beat me to it!
        yeah, agreed!
        http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Different people say different things... but most will say that the 'Break' is the part where all the other sounds drop out except the drums.

Some will say that the drums with other stuff going on can still be a 'break' so when it's just drums then this is an 'open break'.

I think that's right.
          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

I hate it when that happens... at least we all agree!
            Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Oh, and I guess the drum break was originally a little but of excitement for the drummer in an otherwise boring job (did some of those old jazz drummers even get mic'd? The poor sods.) Maybe funk changed that.

On/Off topic: what's the deal with Nu Breaks? Some of it is OK, but I don't hear many breaks, it's just not a housey 4/4. Now old school rave - they were some breakbeats!
              www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Well...
                maybe I was just confused because there appears to be some confusion about what a break is... anyway you kinda confirmed my hunch - so thanks...
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Now what's a Super Disco "Brake"?

Puttin' the brakes on also comes into it somewhere I think
                  www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

A 'break' used to mean the part of the record what it 'breaks down' to become a percussive track.

The term (for me anyway) has moved on a bit and a break to me means a breakbeat. ie loud hoofin drums.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

But is it called a break because Kool Herc gave it that name? The point where the dancers would go crazy on the dance floor when the music dropped out and only the drums would play. They became known as B Boys, short for Break Boys, as "break" was used to describe someone going a little crazy "reaching breaking point", as he states in "The Freshest Kids" film.

Does that make sense?
                      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

No, but doesn't mean it's wrong... Maybe we should ask Kurtis Blow.

I also got some tune with the "drummer put the brakes on" sample, hence I mentioned the Winley Super Disco Brakes.

Hey, I don't know much about art but I know what I like!
                        www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

I may be completely wrong since I know virtually nothing about hip-hop. However...

I thought a break was just drums and an OPEN break was a specific term for when each individual drum sound (bass, snare, cymbal) could be chopped without any other sound interfering, such as ride cymbals which continue to sound over the rest of the drums. Examples everyone has would be "Put Your Hand In The Hand" by New Freedom Singers or "I See No Reason" by Titanic.

Perhaps a proper hip-hop producer would like to step forward and fill us all in. WORD!
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One
                            Examples everyone has would be "Put Your Hand In The Hand" by New Freedom Singers
                            I haven't got that !! WORD!
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Its on tonnes of cheap as anything charity shop covers albums...got drums at the beginning but that's about it.
                              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Working...
                              X