how do bootlegs get made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do bootlegs get made?

ive always wondered who makes bootlegs, as you have to prove that you own the music being pressed.

im pretty sure if you sent off say the Led Zeppelin first album with tourquise logo, someone might say something.

at the record fair the weekend, a guy had sabbath, zeppelin, Hendrix bootlegs, loads of punk. somewhere someone is making them.
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

How do bootlegs get made? Well, when a Daddy loves Money very much he and a tape recorder get together and they make bootlegs.
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
      ive always wondered who makes bootlegs, as you have to prove that you own the music being pressed.

im pretty sure if you sent off say the Led Zeppelin first album with tourquise logo, someone might say something.

at the record fair the weekend, a guy had sabbath, zeppelin, Hendrix bootlegs, loads of punk. somewhere someone is making them.
      ebay is awash with them - those Zep ones are going for a few quid ... shady yep but someone is knocking a stack out somewhere ...
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

i saw bootlegs of bootlegs at the fair.
        might be worth investing in a record making machine
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

At the last Olympia fair I was slightly taken-aback to see bootlegs of fairly recent-ish albums such as PJ Harvey's "Stories From The City...". The seller also had the original press for some ludicrous figure. Not sure why the major labels don't repress these things - I thought they wanted to see sales of physical releases increase. Bet there would be enough takers to warrant a reissue of things like PJ Harvey albums on vinyl.
          Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Nick Cave is a case in point - the demand for this originals is mad ... record labels are missing a trick and in step the bootleggers and clean up
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Overseas shady european (often Russian) pressing factories usually gets mentioned... Italy was bad for it too wasn't it...?

Of course - if you supplied a UK pressing plant with a Led Zep or Beatles LP and asked them to facsimile copy the sleeve and a dub of the recording they'd 99.9% tell you to do one...

Having a few mates with contacts/toes in dance related pressings they often suggest that you can of course sometimes get away with unlabelled blanks/recordings uploaded to cutting websites where questions aren't asked if they can get away with shipping you them on the hush hush and the factory doesn't get checked by the BPI etc.

Comment

As per what Enrico said - I used to work in a factory here in the UK up untill just 4 years ago - in the last year of production we pressed virtually anything - the then owner wasn't fussy where the money was coming from! We literally got away with anything, and never had a visit from the BPI - greasy palms all round I think...?

Saying that, with an unlimited licence to press whatever you like can produce some wonderful custom pressings ( see my other post - " custom pressings" ), and obviously these were made with no intention of being sold in millions, so no-one was brought to book as it were...!
                - now, people think of it as " Art" so, it's done officially for things like Record store day - you should see some of the sealed-stuff that's custom-made that NOBODY knows about until the buyer gets it home - opens it up and thinks " ..wait - did I ask for a Purple vinyl copy?" - I got a Splattered vinyl version of a Cure LP from the Last RSD...!!

Comment

...by the way - NO bootlegs are coming out of ITALY these days - I have a good friend who owns the factory down there, and he recently had some trouble with such things - by way of somebody in the UK doing something they shouldn't - and blaming the poor guy based on the previous reputation of Italy being a " Hotbed " of illegal pressing!

Some very good, reputable people in this business nowadays striving to make a living, and barely getting by - generally doing it for the " ARTISAN" side of things, which can only be commended....

Comment

I own bootleg CDs and pirate LPs pressed at GZ. I guess a lot of stuff flies under the radar and they just can't check everything they are asked to produce.

Comment

Poss. something to do with copyright law down in the czech republic...? -

Comment

Working...
                      X