Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs Advice

Hi All

My Mate has just opened a Discogs account to sell some unwanted records from his collection.

He's asked me for some advice about trading on there, but I've never sold so I thought I'd ask on here.

His many questions are:

What is the the best method to send the records? ie post office, dhl, fedex etc

Where is the cheapest place buy cheap but robust packaging from for lp's?

Any other advice for a newbie starting to sell on Discogs would be most appreciated!

Thanks
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

1) Post Office (Royal Mail)
    2) Sounds Wholesale, Stiff Record Mailers with 2 stiffners in each oriented against each other (Fluting going up on one and across on the other)
    3) a) I also replace the inner sleeves for good quality poly lined ones, put the covers in a new poly sleeves (avoid PVC), gives buyer a feeling of quality and service
    b) Get a proof of posting when you send records via Royal Mail
    c) Disocgs addresses are messy, check the paypal address and let buyer know the exact address you are sending to before posting.
    My Mixcloud

Comment

only send to the paypal address.
      also take the record out of the main sleeve but leave in its inner sleeve so as not to split the sleeve in the post.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
        Record Mailers with 2 stiffners in each oriented against each other (Fluting going up on one and across on the other)
        Did not know this, thanks!

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
        only send to the paypal address.
        also take the record out of the main sleeve but leave in its inner sleeve so as not to split the sleeve in the post.
        I always send to the Discogs address and haven't had a problem...

This is the cheapest mailer deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1100945937...84.m1438.l2649

Works out at 30p a mailer, he'll need a few more stiffeners, but should probably have these already.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
          I always send to the Discogs address and haven't had a problem...
          I once spotted a completely different address on the paypal to the discogs address (different country!) Queried with the buyer which one to send it to, then proceeded to send it to the wrong one!

I would say regardless of which address to use, always compare the paypal address to the discogs one
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Thanks for all the tips chaps!
            it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
            take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
              This is the cheapest mailer deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1100945937...84.m1438.l2649

Works out at 30p a mailer, he'll need a few more stiffeners, but should probably have these already.
              But note recent comments on the "I Hate Cheap Mailers" thread re SW brown mailers.

Got a more helpful reply from SW saying that covers33 sell a strong 825micron mailer?

Comment

My advice is have some records that people actually want and then competitively price according to past sales NOT what prices idiots currently have records listed for sale at.

Comment

is that so you can buy them cheap?
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                    But note recent comments on the "I Hate Cheap Mailers" thread re SW brown mailers.

Got a more helpful reply from SW saying that covers33 sell a strong 825micron mailer?
                    Never had a problem in 800 sales with these and two stiffeners though.

I like these gritty threads.
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
                      My advice is have some records that people actually want and then competitively price according to past sales NOT what prices idiots currently have records listed for sale at.
                      Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                      is that so you can buy them cheap?
                      Bought a load of LP, 12", 10", 7" and some CD's off my local dealer to flip

Comment

what prices idiots currently have records listed for sale at.
                        It always seems to be the people who reload their databases all the time who have these. So in the daily wantlist email you keep getting told about the same overpriced batch

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                          I don't think Nebkins meant it that way.

I often wonder why people price the way they do, but I've given up on understanding this.

Comment

I try and price my records to sell and always reduce prices when things are not selling. If they don't sell they get exchanged in the MVE's. Nothing worse than seeing a record you want and the seller has had it for 3 times market price for the last 3 years!

Comment

A seller on discogs has just increased his prices even though they have been on sell for a very long time. Crazy. Still think Discogs is great and so much less hassle to sell on rather than ebay. Ebay seem to be limiting the items I sell due to the star ratings being slightly lower on postage even though I now send at cost price. I think they expect me to send stuff for free.
                              http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Working...
                              X