Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price " Hiking " - scandalous pray on those new at collecting - or justified sellers trying to make a living..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price " Hiking " - scandalous pray on those new at collecting - or justified sellers trying to make a living..?

Started in the 80's by a very well known mail order company based in the south-east of England -

- Price " Hiking " on rare records really makes me cringe and become very cynical to certain sellers on both Discogs and ebay that do this kind of thing ..

- to me it's just immoral, and prays on those new at collecting, say students just coming in the fold - who might think looking at a £150 price tag for a relatively easy to find Vinyl Lp, is the accepted price for an item that normally sells for £20-£30 tops..!
    - I know it was started to gain as much money for a relatively un-collectable item, but this just bucks the whole system - and it sucks!

What is the accepted thoughts of members on this forum - acceptable business practice, or bloody immoral way to bleed unsuspecting new-comers?

...is there a way to do a poll on here...? - As someone who has been in the business of selling/trading/manufacturing records for all of my adult life, I'm very interested to know if this is the general opinion...

Caveat emptor...

A record is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Plus I hardly imagine there are many students willing to lash out £150 on an LP. I've done a few record fairs at the Brudenell in Leeds recently and most of the students are looking or cheap entry copies of Mojo staples - i.e Dylan, Neil Young, Beatles etc for £5/6.

If I see a rare record I want - I'm still not gonna pay four or five times the normal price just to get my mitts on it. Experience tells me most things turn up for the right price eventually. Anyone putting ridiculous prices on records will usually be left with a load of unsold stock. Indeed - the advent of the smart phone allied with Popsike means everyone's got a handle on what's reasonable for a rare item.
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Yeah, you can charge what the market will bear. Everyone wants to sell as high as they can but if I go into business selling paper clips at ten pounds each I won't expect to sell any. Records ought to be kinda the same.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbUKyq2328
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Everyone wants to buy at the lowest price and sell at the highest price. Apart from northern soul collectors who actively try to spend the maximum they can!

Surely this isn't a problem with current technology? You go on discogs and can easily see a range of prices a record is offered for. If there's only one copy for sale, then it's a rare record. If there's none, it's a really rare record. Actually, I keep meaning to stop saying rare and saying "in demand" instead. I'm sure there's sellers who do the old Record And Tape Exchange trick. Price high, then keep dropping until it sells. Heck, discogs even sends everyone a message every time they do it...
          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Why is that a trick? Seems quite a fair way to do it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
              Why is that a trick? Seems quite a fair way to do it to me.
              I didn't mean it was a trick as in "trick" just a trick, like never missing a trick...
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I think you're trying to trick me now

Comment

Originally posted by Birth of the Anti-cool! View Post
                  What is the accepted thoughts of members on this forum - acceptable business practice, or bloody immoral way to bleed unsuspecting new-comers?
                  Thing is, if I buy one thing from a seller that I later find is overpriced, I'm extremely unlikely to buy from them again, so it seems like a fool's logic. On this topic, search for the "Record Kingz" thread if you want to see what the board thinks of egregious over-pricing and trying to get over on the customer.

I think it must be extremely hard to make a living selling second hand records in the UK. (I talked to a mate of mine who's a dealer recently and he's doing "the knowledge" so he has something substantive to fall back on). But some people manage it without looking like arseholes. Charging bloodthirsty prices for raers isn't the way to do it, but it doesn't massively bother me. I can always find something interesting for a price I want to pay, and sometimes I even get a bargain.
                  "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
                    I think it must be extremely hard to make a living selling second hand records in the UK.
                    I don't find it hard to make a living selling records Dan, it's hard work as with most jobs, but not hard to make a living financially.

Why do you think it must be extremely hard to make a living selling records, What makes you say that ?
                    -
                    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

I guess he says that cos so many record shops have shut down over the last few years.
                      Which reminds me - I MUST get to your shop. Are you open every Saturday and Sunday? What times?

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                        I guess he says that cos so many record shops have shut down over the last few years.
                        Yeah, pretty much that. The competion from eBay, conversations like that with my friend, the continual pressure to source new stuff. All those had me wondering...Nice to hear it's not a problem to be honest.
                        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by peter sundae View Post
                          I don't find it hard to make a living selling records Dan, it's hard work as with most jobs, but not hard to make a living financially.
                          That's good to hear!

By the way, has LTJ Bukem handed in his D&B collection yet?

Comment

Originally posted by djvw View Post
                            By the way, has LTJ Bukem handed in his D&B collection yet?
                            Nope, but....

Keep 'em peeled...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
                              Yeah, pretty much that. The competion from eBay, conversations like that with my friend, the continual pressure to source new stuff. All those had me wondering...Nice to hear it's not a problem to be honest.
                              Ebay competition to a record shop ?!

If I can't sell something in the shop or I need some cash flow then it's the perfect safety net to get rid of stuff, all my good stuff sells in my shop to a group of regular customers who come in so I've no need for it at the moment.
                              If you want to know the biggest problem for a shop it's getting rid of common stuff that comes in a collection with the better stuff (most people selling just want rid of everything) these records I have sold as job lots on ebay, which pretty much always end up going abroad. At the moment i hardly use ebay except for some classical records which i can't sell in the shop which are loaded up by a helper on Wednesdays.

Your friend Dan, in terms of sourcing stuff, does he have an actual shop or online business ?
                              -
                              You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                              but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Working...
                              X