Posting records from the US to the UK advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting records from the US to the UK advice please

I've currently got 150 LPs at a friends house in the US and want to get them home to the UK.

Has anyone any advice about the best way to get them home. I am not sure whether they should go as one parcel or there is a sensible and cost effective way to split them.

I have a friend who says he will bring them back as extra luggage if I cover any extra costs (I'd prepay an extra case or two) but wondered if there would be a way to do this without inconveniencing him too much by using a courier?

i don't really know what the total weight is or what the scale of weight/cost is, so I thought I'd ask here as I am sure one of you chaps will have done this before

Any advice gratefully received..
    the monkey speaks his mind

It depends on a few things:

As far as shipping, they can be sent via what's called an M-bag (https://www.usps.com/ship/airmail-mbags.htm) this is the most economical option for shipping bulk records in my experience. It does say the weight limit for an M-Bag is 66 lbs so you'd have to mind that and perhaps split them up accordingly. This is a service mostly meant for international students shipping books, but you can send records without a problem.

Otherwise it's down to your friend's airline baggage fees. If he isn't a record person he may not realise that 150 lps is heavy as hell, it would be hard to manage 150 lps and any substantial amount of luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
      As far as shipping, they can be sent via what's called an M-bag (https://www.usps.com/ship/airmail-mbags.htm) this is the most economical option for shipping bulk records in my experience. It does say the weight limit for an M-Bag is 66 lbs so you'd have to mind that and perhaps split them up accordingly. This is a service mostly meant for international students shipping books, but you can send records without a problem.
      Thanks for this. I think this may be the solution. He has kindly taken in parcels over the last year and I am loath to repay him with a hernia.... I just need to work out the best way to split them and package them. I assume this is a plastic bag/envelope you can put the parcels into?

I appreciate you taking the time to apply
      the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by admcc77 View Post
        Thanks for this. I think this may be the solution. He has kindly taken in parcels over the last year and I am loath to repay him with a hernia.... I just need to work out the best way to split them and package them. I assume this is a plastic bag/envelope you can put the parcels into?

I appreciate you taking the time to apply
        No problem man. I've been through it before...You basically box them as you normally would, then they put that box in a bag with an "M" tag on it. A guy who owns a chain of used book stores (which also stock records) put me on to this, he swore it was the cheapest option. I thought it might take a little longer, but as I recall it didn't take much extra time.

Comment

I reckon 150 records is approximately 35kgs, or about 77lbs, if that helps.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
          X