100 White Albums release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 White Albums release

Rutherford Chang, the guy who does the We Buy White Albums art project, has got his own vinyl release out. He's taken 100 copies of the White Album and layered them to produce his own version. Because each copy plays slightly differently the sound drifts out of sync over the course of each side.

Having listened to Side One on his website I'm not sure about this. It sounds interesting on the first couple of tracks but after that the drift is so pronounced it just ends up sounding like some experimental abstract noise piece (which I'm sure will suit some around here ).

Anyway $45 delivered to the UK if you want to grab yourself one.

http://100whitealbums.tumblr.com/

http://rutherfordchang.com/white.html - Side one is listenable at the bottom of the page.

I listened to the first side of this project and instantly regressed to my late teens and an occasion when I was out drinking with friends. The alluring persuasion of just a few mate were soon overcome by the tribal lure of an all-day session and - eventually - we all went back to a friends house at midnight after the long 10-hour boozy binge. In a very inebriated state and buoyant on beer-fuelled confidence I decided what this night *really* needed to give it a mighty push over the egde, the coup de grace as you might, was a full tab of strong LSD. It was still the 1980's and this gear was still potent.

I dropped the acid and, as the music played, I quickly became embedded within a cacophony of sound as my frazzled acid-fried alcohol-soaked synapses tried to make sense of what they were hearing. Phased, distorted music... coherent yet incoherent, in time but somehow out of time. My ear tubes and brain cords were awash with nonsense yet sense; sounds came, sounds went. I had no control over what I was hearing.

Over the next 3-4 hours I wished for the experience to end and prayed to every god in my address book for the coming of dawn.

It eventually came, the fresh new light bringing relief and redemption in equal measure...

As you were.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Sorry, all I was trying to say was - it's a load of shit.

EDIT:- Saying that, I would like to hear the "Mr Divine plays 400 mint copies of the White Album" project coz at least he'd pick up minty copies rather than scratchy old pish.

Bloody part-timers.
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Why? Wasn't it good enough as it was? Best thing about it was it sent me racing for my copy.....sounds marvellous to my ears after listening to his version. Instant collectable for Beatles completists though. How on earth did he get permission?
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
          Why? Wasn't it good enough as it was? Best thing about it was it sent me racing for my copy.....sounds marvellous to my ears after listening to his version. Instant collectable for Beatles completists though. How on earth did he get permission?
          Dunno if he did. There'll be loads of Beatles nutjobs soiling thier keks trying to get hold of a copy I should coco.
          In case it gets pulled and becomes some 'collectable' or something.
          Not that there's anything wrong with that, it'l probably be more American Beatles nutjobs seeming as they corner the
          market in obssessive nerd-ness when it comes the the fab four vinyl and such like...
          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Best not judge this from a 'it's all about the music' perspective because you'll only get a bit cross, or have an acid flashback. In this case 'it's all about the object'.

I liked the original project and this is a *really affordable* way to get a bit of it. Thanks Melter, I have bought!
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I would say that the original project was all about the object, and the owners of the object, more than The Beatles, and it was a fair enough idea. This reeks of cashing in on the Beatles music itself. Good luck to him of course. He will make lots of money from it I daresay.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                I would say that the original project was all about the object, and the owners of the object, more than The Beatles, and it was a fair enough idea. This reeks of cashing in on the Beatles music itself. Good luck to him of course. He will make lots of money from it I daresay.
                $20 per plus shipping...not a big profit margin there. All the press may be bringing him new opportunities though.

Comment

No worries mate.

Originally posted by eine View Post
                  Best not judge this from a 'it's all about the music' perspective because you'll only get a bit cross, or have an acid flashback. In this case 'it's all about the object'.

I liked the original project and this is a *really affordable* way to get a bit of it. Thanks Melter, I have bought!

Comment

He's in Liverpool at present. Still looking for more copies as he only has 1026 of the 3 million-odd first run!

Wonder how much he pays for them?
                    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Here's the release he made

http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-The-B...elease/5109438

Trading for decent money
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Put some on the swap?
                        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Wonder what the copyright staus is on that? I'd heard that the Beatles' publishing people were shit hot on any use of the material.
                          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Working...
                          X