The Thai Elephant Orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thai Elephant Orchestra

It's elephants. Playing percussion instruments. Here.

While I enjoyed the video, I was more intrigued by the idea of the harmonica-playing elephants. Quote: "One morning I got to the jungle at sunrise and all around me was the sound of a dozen elephants playing the harmonica as they converged on the river for their morning bath. That was really an astonishing experience."

It's moments like these that I'll treasure forever.

I'm up for listening to any old racket, but I never thought I'd hear that...

Brilliant, Thank you.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

The Thai Elephant Orchestra seems to be a pachyderm version of early latin jazz outfits.

Classical purists might find its percussion section a bit heavy and not all performers pay attention to the conductor

This also describes Machito and his Afro-Cubans

But then this is the orchestra that literally plays for peanuts.

Salt peanuts, salt peanuts

Luk Kop could play three drums at the same time. He could even set up rhythms. But he grew to be fairly dangerous, and he's no longer with the orchestra.

Luk Kop is definitely the elephant Chano Pozo, who could also play three congas, introduced various rhythms to Gillespie´s band and was shot dead in a drug deal.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. The small sample in the video just needs Don Cherry parping over the top to put the icing on the cake. The elephant who whacks the sheet of tin knows his stuff for sure.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
        X