Korg Monotron Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Monotron Help

I bought a korg monotron thing the other day and I love to piss about with it. But I want to plug it into my computer and play it over the top of other sounds using Audacity. Thing is, to plug it into the computer you have to use the earphone socket, and when you stick a cable in there it obviously cuts off the speakers. I put the cable into the aux on the computer and when I play sounds on the Korg the computer picks them up and records them, but they don't come out of the compute's speakers so I can't hear what I'm "playing". But I want to play it over the top of beats so that it's in time with them. How can I plug the Korg into the computer so that it works and so that I can hear it?
    Does that make any sense?
    Thanks in advance.

Use multitrack recording software instead.

Import your audacity audio onto one track.

Play your Korg on to another.

Comment

Like xann says the best method is to use a multitrack software like for example cubase although there are lots of different ones...

You probably want to connect the korg to your computer sound card via midi. Typically, sound cards which come with pcs do not have midi...

If you use a pc you can pick up an entry level sound card quite cheap... feel free to hit me up if you need help getting setup.

Comment

Thanks but doesn't Audacity have multiple tracks?
        When I play it back I can see (and hear) the Korg sounds in one track and whatever was there before in another. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Comment

No. tbh I only used Audacity for sound capture and manipulation.

Not used it for a while because one of the more recent OSXs changed the way the computer routed multiple audio streams through the machine.

Half the routing options disappeared, which amongst other issues, made it not much cop for encoding streamed audio.

It's something I'll look into again, but there's other computer issues first in the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Xann View Post
            "No. tbh I only used Audacity for sound capture and manipulation.
            Not used it for a while because one of the more recent OSXs changed the way the computer routed multiple audio streams through the machine.
            Half the routing options disappeared, which amongst other issues, made it not much cop for encoding streamed audio.
            It's something I'll look into again, but there's other computer issues first in the queue."
            No I'm not misunderstanding you or no it doesn't have multiple tracks?
            Talking about this stuff other than face to face with the thing in front of you is so confusing.

Comment

If the amp you normally play through has a line out, you could use that to plug into your computer.

If you want to hear how it sounds in the mix with your backing track then I guess this is no good

Can you let us know what O/S you are using? PC Windows or Mac OSX and which version?

If PC windows have you tried fiddling with advanced mixer properties?
              My Mixcloud

Comment

I am using windows 7 and can do it like this

RIght click on the speaker icon in the systray (next to the clock)]
                Select recording devices
                Select the input jack, might be called Jack MiC and right click, select properties
                Click on listen tab
                Tick the box that says listen to this device
                Click Apply
                My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                  No I'm not misunderstanding you or no it doesn't have multiple tracks?
                  Talking about this stuff other than face to face with the thing in front of you is so confusing.
                  It has multiple tracks, but I found on the newer OSXs (last 18 months) that Audacity didn't sit well with other audio streams.

Adverts on browser windows in the background were interrupting Audacity's audio. I pretty much abandoned it, intending to come back to the problem later.

Then my computer died, so it's been on the back burner since.

Comment

Right - if at least one of those tips doesn't help me then I'll fucking give up. Thanks everyone - especially Moogaloo cos that actually makes sense to me. Will report back.

Comment

Fuck yeah!

Comment

How the hell did you figure that out?

Comment

In Audacity, at the top of the screen there's a little picture of a microphone underneath two bars marked L and R. Next to the microphone, there's a drop-down button - click that and choose 'Start Monitoring'.
                          MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Glad it helped. I have one of those techie brains I guess!

Ashra's suggestion looks more convenient for turning this on and off though
                            My Mixcloud

Comment

You could just plug it into you our mixer before the computer and listened on hifi
                              Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Working...
                              X