Rediscovering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rediscovering

My pile of records that I haven't listened enough to has grown out of proportion lately. Some records were bought 3 years ago. So last months I've been very focused on reducing it - at one point the it was longer than myself should I have stapled the all on top of each other, .

It's fun because many times it feels like new records without having to dig/pay for them.

So - here are two gems I found so far:

Bobby Brown - The Enlightening Beam of Axonda
    This is a masterpiece of outsider folkpsych with analogue synth sounds, homebuilt instruments and a demented new age vibe (in the best sense of the word). I think this is one of my all-time fave LPs.

Aillohas - Sami Eatnan Duoddariid
    Didn't like it that much when I bought it but felt it was interesting enough to give a few spins. Now after a few spins I love it. It's sami yoik, traditional singing, blended with jazz and a krautlike backing complete with spacey synthesizers. The best tracks aren't on youtube but this is very good too and gives a feeling for the trance-like groove:
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Bobby Brown's stuff is amazing, he achieves a truly astonishing soundscape. Both records are great.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Only 3 years? I just got round to listening to something I bought in the 90s:

Ariel Ramirez "Misa Criola", Argentinian folk mass, pretty common charity shop one. Turned out to be great. Then found an early 60s Argentinian release of his in Reckless the following week, piano and charango

edit - oops, just re-read thread. Got 100s of LPs that need rediscovering, and probably about 25 never played at all

Comment

This isn't the Bobby Brown that Zappa sung about, am I right
        djh

Comment

Originally posted by djh62uk View Post
          This isn't the Bobby Brown that Zappa sung about, am I right
          djh
          When subjected to rigourous dialectical analysis the poodle haired new age singer Bobby Brown is almost certainly the same one Uncle Frank sang of. Uncle Meat is also clearly a metaphor for the Healing Rays Of Aoxanda.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
            When subjected to rigourous dialectical analysis the poodle haired new age singer Bobby Brown is almost certainly the same one Uncle Frank sang of. Uncle Meat is also clearly a metaphor for the Healing Rays Of Aoxanda.
            Shouldn't you be at ATP? Anyway it should be Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play.
            Have a nice w/e I'm waiting for the builders as you know.
            djh

Comment

Working...
            X