Ebay / Morgan-James Duo. Music, money and morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay / Morgan-James Duo. Music, money and morality

Trawling charity shops in October saw Morgan-James Duo At The Bar of Music LP. Mmmmm... interesting cover. But nahh...track-listing looked a little poor.. Passed on it.

Xmas coming / too much unplayed vinyl still waiting at home etc.

Passed on it again November / December / January 2005.

February-ish 2005, ebay browsing as you do....and there it is listed by a favourite seller of mine...with two days to go...at £38 + . And three of the bidders are private. (Finally went for £40+)

Hot-footed there next day..(pound signs rolling in my eyes I'm VERY ashamed to say)...and got it...hooray.......excellent condition.

Being post-Xmas cash strapped I had every intention of selling it on ebay..honest I did..even though I've not sold anything before but...

Played it and love it. Great harmonies and 'live' feel, refreshingly close-mic'd and under-produced and a wicked urgency about it...fresh takes on Guys and Dolls, Moon River and It ain't necessarily so are present faves but it's great all the way thru.

Any info on these two? The ebay seller noted that the bass player Peter Morgan went on to be a very respected 70's bass player. I'd love to know more....

I've googled the names to no effect.

Needless to say....it's found a good home. Even if I am £40 short next month.. well sod it...the cat's just going to have to learn to hunt again.

Now be really gentle on my ignorance please...
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Pete Morgan played on virtually all of Harry Stoneham's records - chances are he's got a few uncredited sessions under his belt too!

I saw a copy of the Morgan James LP some years back for about a tenner - I suppose I can console myself with the thought I wouldn't have been able to afford it in those days.......

Comment

I'm ashamed. Just scurried to fish out 'Hammond My Way' and there it is, on the back, in clear sans - serif font -

'He is accompanied by Pete Morgan of the famous Morgan James Duo on Bass Guitar....This Group has been playing together for a number of years'

That's several pints for you or a date with my sister Kelly Brook and her best friend Denise Van Outen at some point in the future.

Now I can sleep.
      Lord Thames you're a genie-us, (signed or otherwise),
      thanks again.
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I ahd an album of theirs called Two For the Road. Didn't care for most of it but thee wasa track called You Can Bet I'm Laughing which was great. But I hated the rest so I put it on ebay and got £20. I did some goodling and got nowt like you.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend
          That's several pints for you or a date with my sister Kelly Brook and her best friend Denise Van Outen at some point in the future.
          I believe when she's not acting, Kelly is a noted authority on the MFP Hot Hits LPs, so we should have a lot to talk about!

Comment

Working...
          X