Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North West Digging.....dead?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • North West Digging.....dead?

    As the historical hairy records on bold street (in Liverpool) closed its doors earlier this year and Probe records seemingly only sells reissues at 18 quid a pop, digging spots are few and far between around my end of town, I used to venture to Manchester to peruse vinyl exchange, picadilly records, but again, most of the other places i used to go to have shut up shop, King Bee is still going but I saw a copy of Elmer Bernstein - The Carpetbaggers for 50 quid in there which gives you the idea that King Bee is one of those "by the book price" places. Theres a place in Liverpool cult vinyl which prices their stock in a similar manner.
    I have resorted to buying from Ebay and Discogs, yet the postage prices often hit me hard, where its become apparent sometimes that for the postage I pay I could have used the money to buy an extra couple of records and I am missing the coat of dust that covers my finger tips accompanied by the "I found some really dope stuff" shit eating grin after leaving a store.

    Anyone else in the same boat?

  • #2
    Sounds bad mate...I've never been to Manchester for at least a good five years or so, always used to be good for records, especially King Bee's which always used to be very fairly priced, would be a real shame to see Les just sticking book price on stuff!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

    Comment


    • #3
      where are you based ?
      and Les is always up for a deal ...and a trade
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, Kingbee isn't a "book" place, everyone in there is nice, you should talk to them and have a dig.

        Comment


        • #5
          King Bee, good for buying and selling. Always found Les to be very fair.
          There's also Drumbeat in Chorley but that's a bit "by the book" but (Pete? I forget, its been a while) will haggle on multiple purchases.
          One of these days I'll get over to Skeleton in Birkenhead, anybody got a report?
          There's also Kaleidoscope in St. Helens, always worth a look if in the area, Greg the owner is a good bloke and has some interesting stuff.
          There's also a new one in Wigan but not had chance to visit.
          I agree about Liverpool, to be fair Hairy had been disappointing for a few years, lots of book prices there, I'm not too sad to see it go (particularly after going in with my daughter and having to listen to two blokes behind the counter having a conversation that would make dockers blush with the expletives used). Didn't go in again after that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by korova View Post
            King Bee, good for buying and selling. Always found Les to be very fair.
            There's also Drumbeat in Chorley but that's a bit "by the book" but (Pete? I forget, its been a while) will haggle on multiple purchases.
            One of these days I'll get over to Skeleton in Birkenhead, anybody got a report?
            There's also Kaleidoscope in St. Helens, always worth a look if in the area, Greg the owner is a good bloke and has some interesting stuff.
            There's also a new one in Wigan but not had chance to visit.
            I agree about Liverpool, to be fair Hairy had been disappointing for a few years, lots of book prices there, I'm not too sad to see it go (particularly after going in with my daughter and having to listen to two blokes behind the counter having a conversation that would make dockers blush with the expletives used). Didn't go in again after that.

            I got bob james one and two from skeleton, sometimes I pop in, paid about 18 quid for both. Hairy was changed to the Vinyl Emporium, the original hairy was stacked with obscure crates. I will mission to St Helens and have a geez in Kaleidoscope.

            Comment


            • #7
              A good overview of the Manchester based shops:
              http://www.recordshopcity.co.uk/
              The Downstairs Lounge
              http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
              http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                A good overview of the Manchester based shops:
                http://www.recordshopcity.co.uk/
                Yes, not altogether up to date though, Ultravinyls in Sale has been closed for a year or so...

                Comment


                • #9
                  i do have fond memories of going into Manchester in the late 90's/early 00's when you could actually spend a full afternoon digging..............fat city, Pelikanneck, vox pop (always turned up great stuff in there), there was also a couple of other places in the NQ area/afflecks, etc for picking up records. HMW at the time had a huge vinyl section and listening posts so that was always worth a look for comps/reissues, etc.

                  Vinyl exchange has a very low turnover of stock now and they seem happy to let stock sit there for years at the same price. They don't drop prices like the london exchange shops do.

                  i also avoid buying on line so tend to save my pennies and just go down to london 3 or 4 times a year now for record buying trips where I pick up most stuff from,

                  i find myself in Wigan with work sometimes though and i have to recommend the latest incarnation of 'static records' ; great stock and nice owner.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't buy too many records these days. But I am from that part of world and have always done well up there since the 70s without troubling too much any of the shops you mention...If by 'digging' you mean collectors record shops, they've always come and gone but that's not really where you find stuff anyway....
                    Endless Tripe

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by son of stan View Post
                      I don't buy too many records these days. But I am from that part of world and have always done well up there since the 70s without troubling too much any of the shops you mention...If by 'digging' you mean collectors record shops, they've always come and gone but that's not really where you find stuff anyway....
                      I must concur.
                      Still living inbetween Liverpool & Manchester & i don't have enough money to hit all the digging spots in the North West on a regular basis (not including the collectors shops).
                      The Sound of Salvation blog

                      Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
                      Vault mint

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X