Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• record shop – music-magazine

hello,
    for school (art direction) i have to do a magazine. i decided to do a music-magazine called record shop:
    an anthology of ten songs (issue-theme: secluded trip – from a cheerfully walk on a pretty nice day [sour soul - pool-pah]
    to a voltage ride through the empires of eternal void [la horse - serge gainsbourg].
    i though maybe some of you could perhaps have some stories up one's sleeve to one or two
    of the songs i've selected.
    it would be really nice just if you can share this or that related thing, knowledge or just a little story around the chosen songs with me.

The 'track list' is:

Sour Soul – Pool-Pah
    I Walk Alone – Marjata
    Travelling Lady – Manfred Mann
    Snake Song – Townes van Zandt
    Drug Song – Dave Bixby
    Life Child – Ramases
    Circus in the Sea – Federal Duck
    The Sea – D. R. Hooker
    Into the Void – Black Sabbath
    La Horse – Serge Gainsbourg

So if you have some text about the labels, the bands, the songs, the albums, the nice saxophone solo in travelling lady, the musicians, or any other
    little story around anything i would be very happy if you tell me.

Also i'm looking for other versions of this songs, or 'newer' music who's somehow related to one of that songs.

Hope that this is not to sassy, just sign in at VG+ and ask for help–
    otherwise let me know, right?

bon weekend, j

great track list ....
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Good luck with your project. Not sure i can add too much, but you requested info about cover versions...

There's a cover of the Ramases track by Solomon King (not the UK singer, but a group called Solomon King). Can't find it on YouTube, but details are here: http://www.45cat.com/record/205825

If you can't find it online anywhere (I'm pretty useless checking the usual sites...) I'll try and dig it out and send you an mp3...
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

madman anthony treated himself to an og dr. hooker earlier this year i think.
        maybe he has some stories to share...?
        Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

My favourite bar used to play the both sides of MAster of Reality over and over every night. You'd think it gets boring but no.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
            Good luck with your project. Not sure i can add too much, but you requested info about cover versions...

There's a cover of the Ramases track by Solomon King (not the UK singer, but a group called Solomon King). Can't find it on YouTube, but details are here: http://www.45cat.com/record/205825

If you can't find it online anywhere (I'm pretty useless checking the usual sites...) I'll try and dig it out and send you an mp3...
            thank you for the hint!
            but malheureusement i'm useless too (checking the usual sites…) haven't found it yet. so i would be great if you can send it to me…

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
              My favourite bar used to play the both sides of MAster of Reality over and over every night. You'd think it gets boring but no.
              yes, thank you!
              every thing is useful, so just tell me your opinion about this or that, what you hate or love, or whatever…
              that would give a nice collection of thoughts just around this songs…

Comment

While I remember...

Is this actually a different singer (they've always sounded pretty similar but I've never pulled them out to listen side by side)? After all, Ramses II was was thought to be King Solomon (Egypt, not Sheffield).
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I've just listened to the two tracks (Ramases, Solomon King), and can report the following:

The Solomon King track is based on the backing for the Ramases track, but with added orchestration. Both records carry a credit for 'A Strawberry Production' (I.e. Recorded at Strawberry Studios, Manchester), SK additionally shows 'Orchestration:Lew Warburton'. The SK track is much shorter, having had one of the slower verses removed, and also the wigged-out outro is missing. SK is definitely 'the' Solomon King...
                  OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
                    I've just listened to the two tracks (Ramases, Solomon King), and can report the following:

The Solomon King track is based on the backing for the Ramases track, but with added orchestration. Both records carry a credit for 'A Strawberry Production' (I.e. Recorded at Strawberry Studios, Manchester), SK additionally shows 'Orchestration:Lew Warburton'. The SK track is much shorter, having had one of the slower verses removed, and also the wigged-out outro is missing. SK is definitely 'the' Solomon King...
                    I was told (by someone who knows their onions) that SK definitely WASN'T the singer Solomon King - it was a completely un-related band called Solomon King. Hmmm.....
                    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I was told (by someone who knows their onions) that SK definitely WASN'T the singer Solomon King - it was a completely un-related band called Solomon King. Hmmm.....
                      The plot thickens .... But why would a track by an unrelated band be used as the b-side of one of Solomon King's later hits? (A side When you've gotta go, co-written by Lyndsey de Paul). The backing track is definitely an edited lift from the Ramases version!

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

it isn't the Solomon King of 'she wears my ring' fame - totally certain of that
                        Rockwell
                        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

I've not seen anything on tinternet to confirm one way or the other ... And Mr King is long passed away, so I expect we'll never know... Unless/until the real vocalist steps forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
                            it isn't the Solomon King of 'she wears my ring' fame - totally certain of that
                            Sie, the notes in the newly released 6 CD Ramases box set claim that it IS this Solomon King. I'll post a pic later

Comment

Working...
                            X