No announcement yet.

Albums of the year 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite new album of the year has been Dean Blunt's The Redeemer. There's not much new stuff that doesn't sound like anything I've heard before but this did it: weird, morose, brilliant.
    Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
      My favourite new album of the year has been Dean Blunt's The Redeemer. There's not much new stuff that doesn't sound like anything I've heard before but this did it: weird, morose, brilliant.
      Seconded. Just bought this for one of the kids at Christmas. That's his Christmas ruined!
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'd certainly agree with some of these (Matt Berry, Wolf People, Soundcarriers)

Can definitly make a case for a new one by local psych guitar hero Cian Nugent & The Cosmos. He started as a solo John Fahey/Basho type but now has a band and strong Quicksilver Messenger Service vibes with doses of Television and Fairport guitar excursions. Long long instrumentals that just build and build.

And I got a CD only album called "Hawaii" by Yoshihiko Seko which if not great is at least half very good. Smooth stuff.

Two releases that have been growing on me after failing to make a good impression are
        The Meenahan Street Band lp "The Crossing"
        Bardo Pond "Rise Above It All" - this is nominally a single but it plays at 33 and is about 15-20 minutes a side.

Plenty of decent re-issues, probably too many to keep up with.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I like that Menahan album as well but I think it was a 2012 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Dynamite View Post
            I like that Menahan album as well but I think it was a 2012 release.
            Probably. Not the first one in this thread either.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Not bought a lot of albums this year - 12"s have pretty much ruled the roost...

However, the following have made my year.

Wolf People - Fain
              Asphodells - Ruled by Passion, Destroyed by Lust (The remix LP of this is absolute killer as well)
              Daniel Avery - Drone Logic (obvious perhaps, but it is an absolute belter)
              Land of Light - Land of Light (technically, this was 2012, but it's been a massive part of the soundtrack to this year for me)

Reissues
              Dunkelziffer - Retrospection Obi Set
              Suns of Arqa - Muslimgauze Re-mixes (sort of reissue)
              Patrick Cowley - School Daze
              Woo ‎– Whichever Way You Are Going, You Are Going Wrong

An amazing year for music - a bad year for saving...
              Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
                An amazing year for music
                This is worth reiterating - and, from the variety of the selections, there's been something for almost everyone. My main issue is that I'm no longer fully plugged into the network so lots of the good stuff has passed me by. I thank the lord for the forum, but must try harder next year - new music has a special kind of thrill associated with it.
                SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

i have only heard of about 3 albums mentioned so far,

heres a few albums i have enjoyed this year

Moghul - Moghul
                  Troubled Horse - Troubled Horse (though this could have been out in 2012, i only got it this year)
                  Ghost - Infestissumam
                  Purson - The Circle And The Blue Door
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I forgot to mention the Fuck Buttons album. I know someone else did already, but it is really a bit special that.

And the Jonathan Wilson LP Fanfare. Have I missed a thread on this. It's beautiful and right up the street of many on here I'd have thought

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                      i have only heard of about 3 albums mentioned so far,

heres a few albums i have enjoyed this year

Moghul - Moghul
                      They have done an lp? Or is that the 12" on Devizes? If so, add that to my list, absolutely marvellous record!
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

oh yeah, the Moghul was called Dead Empires. my memory is terrible. thye only did that one 12" and have recently split up. shame really as i really liked them
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Shame, Dead Empires is immense.
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                            My favourite new album of the year has been Dean Blunt's The Redeemer. T
                            This completely passed me by - he's the Hype Williams fella right? Listening to a track now and it sounds amazing. Cheers for the heads up!

Comment

I think everyone is agreed on The Soundcarriers LP.
                              'Hanging up the Moon' LP has been on a lot. Bought on Medlar's reccommendation earlier in the year on this board, so thanks for that.
                              Great LPs on Cardinal Fuzz especially Hills Live, and Dead Sea Apes LPs
                              Arbouretum 'Coming Out of the Fog' I'm strangely addicted to their sludge-rock.
                              Lost Tapes Record Club recent series of Cassettes has been a delight
                              The Lancashire Hustlers 'She Was Just an Opportunist' CD has been on as much as anything else on this list. It's very English in it's outlook and bang up my alley.
                              The Last Hurrah 'The Beauty of Fake' LP. Really like T.L.H and this new LP was enhanced, for me, by an accompanying live LP featuring Jon Irabagon, sax player from MOPDTK, probably my favourite contemporary jazz combo. So it was win, win for this one.
                              My favourite release of the year was a 45 and it's the Fryers release of an unissued take of 'Pocketful of Rainbows' by Elvis. I really can't get enough of it.
                              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
                                And the Jonathan Wilson LP Fanfare. Have I missed a thread on this. It's beautiful and right up the street of many on here I'd have thought
                                As recommended in my list above...... so I heartily concur - it's gorgeous.
                                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X