No announcement yet.

Today I Will Be Mostly Listening To...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be listening to anything, because my aging turntable seems to have decided to sound like shit out of one channel (the curse of the right channel... I always seem to have bad luck with the right channel, all my equipment seems to die in the right channel...why?..), and the Goldring I agreed to test before buying also doesn't work, this time out of the left channel (yes I know i said right... but this is left... Right channel sounds magnificent though)

But

if I was able to too, i'd be listening to
    Michael Garrick 'Black Marigolds' (you gotta love ebay sometimes)
    Dakota Staten LP with a full length version of 'I love you more than you'll ever know' (for those who know it, the 45 - adam featured it on his 1st deepfunk cd swap - is edited and misses the intro and the second half). Really gorgeous song, rest of the record is rather dull standards though
    Tempo 70 'montuneando' Mericana 45
    Orquesta Los Van Van 'Con el bate de aluminio' 70s Cuban 45 on Areito, plucked from Reckless for next to nothing, really rather good, from the title this is presumably about baseball?
    bobby bland 'blue moon' (duke)
    a bunch of gospel 45s which must remain nameless...nick knows...
    Ray bryant - lonesome traveller LP
    Seatrain 'flute thing'
    Air 'Mr Man'

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
      Cripes! He starts his first ever week's work and he thinks he's Mister Dandy Trousers. Where's our handbag icon gone?
      Yeah, yeah, giving it all that!

Seeing as you, once more, don't appear to have a signal, you got somewhere to live yet? Or has Hero lost a dole-ite but gained a homeless bum?
      Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
      Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Satisfaction - Devo
        Hurdy Gury Man - Ray Davis
        Primitive Love - CCS
        Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Just Got the Plant Life lp - The Return of Jack Splash (on ltd 7" boxset)
          a bit pricey but way cool, ona p funk prince/outcast tip. Very catchy, very good!
          Also got the new Quasimoto 12, bus ride. Rappcats is great. nice soul break with quas listing influential mc's. quality new hip hop.
          http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
          http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
          http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

Originally posted by Si Cheeba
            Indeed - that's the fella!

"Ting-a-ling- a-ling-a- ling - School Bell Ring!"

Do you know of any more in that style Bill?

I've got that that Welton Irie "Hotter Reggae Music" which is also in that JA DJ turned Rap style -
            I don't know any JA-type rap things, that seems a bit of a one-off, but I'm sure you know abou some of the other off the wall early rap records like B+ on West End (A Spyder production) and Big Apple Rappin' etc.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

there are a few early rap/reggae things on the Wackies label. But i don't know what they are, so that no very useful info. souljazz had one of them a while ago on a reissue

Comment

Ive just listened to gerald and liams radio show. Very nice it was too.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

A 3 hr vid of gg allen .......all vultures must watch this.
                  MODZ
                  Hero No.9
                  Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                  THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Hopkinson
                    Hurdy Gury Man - Ray Davis
                    Best record in the thread, D! A vulture classic, too.

Comment

Originally posted by wooly
                      Best record in the thread, D! A vulture classic, too.
                      Yeah , great to hear again - it actually on a comp from a guy from Jungulator that I hooked up with in Rotterdam. Judging by the tracklisting he should be here ( and maybe lurking, I've given him the address ). You can see us lounging here ( I'm on page 19 before the bass player in the russian shirt who looks a little worse for wear! )
                      Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Originally posted by wooly
                        and some of Lord Thames' infamous (and highly prized) minidiscs.
                        Ooh, I'm flattered! They're only highly prized 'cos it takes me about ten years to finish each one.

Speaking of which - Wayne, can you e-mail me when you get a moment? I really ought to get that stuff sent to you!

I'm at work today, so once I finish on air, I'll be preparing things for tomorrow to the accompaniment of my special 'Muzak for Work' cassette, consisting of Stimulus Progression vols 4 and 1 on a C90 - I'm seeing if Muzak's team of scientific advisors really knew what they were doing, or whether they just made it all up!

When that runs out, I'll shove on the minidisc of 'Man Of Our Times' wot Wooly dun for me, which alternates with the muzak tape for a bit of variety!

When I get home.....ooh, probably a mix of Ronnie Aldrich, The Who, some Telemusic bits and bobs and whatever I find lying around.

Hey, I know how to have a good time, don't I?

Comment

Pickettywitch - but am not impressed really.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

a baby
                            it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

5 'newish releases' today (well tonight actually) were...

Jason Forrest - The unrelenting songs of the 1979 post disco crash
                              Arcade Fire - Funeral
                              Various - Hallucinations (psychedelic pop nuggets from the WEA vaults)
                              Free Design - redesigned (remix ep vol 1)
                              Various - Meridian 1970 (actually that's a lie - it's just arrived and I am saving it for tomorrow! but it's got to be good hasn't it?)

and an oldie...
                              Terry Reid - Seed of Memory
                              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                                Speaking of which - Wayne, can you e-mail me when you get a moment? I really ought to get that stuff sent to you!
                                No problem, Lord T...if you can send me your email address by PM or something, as I seem only to have your postal address written down here. Must've lost it doing a system reboot, which happens alarmingly often...

Oh, and finally got a 'Folk Is Not A Four Letter Word' CD today. Been on repeat pretty much all afternoon, and it gets better with every spin.

France Gall's '1968', Claudine Longet's 'Colours' and David Moses Group's 'Golden Trumpet' on Saga have each had a go on the turntable as well...
                                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                                X