Tune of 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune of 2013

What single tune, old or new, blew you away in 2013? Have a think while you neck those mince pies, or during those moments when you regain consciousness! Should make for an interesting line up.
    Mine came courtesy of a playlist from the Eclectic Mud boys. Never heard it before, picked one up immediately after hearing it. Cheers chaps.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

for me it was this from the nu psych thread on here still sounds killer now!

i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

Comment

I predict almost everyone reading will hate this but it's definitely one of my most played of the year. Part of it's genius is who's doing it,and how it runs counter to his normal musical moves. Gucci is best known for balls out trap rap, via deluges of mixtapes (God only knows how many tapes this year - 6? 7? 10?)* and for him to drop a weird autotuned love song - well, it was just an awesome move if you've been following his music and career, one that runs with all your expectations. The way he renounces his wealth and status - "Like Pun and Joe don't wanna be a player no mo' /took all my money, all my jewelery, threw it out the door" slays me, not something I've ever heard him do before. In terms of what's going on in the song, it does fit his recurrent mood and motifs - it's dark, depressive in tone, hedonistic, materialistic, and on some fuck the world shit. I love it.

*12 according to Wikipedia! Not that anyone cares bar me....
      Last edited by Tsundoku; 27-12-2013, 07:30 PM.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

New: Matt Berry - October Sun
        ' KIN' ELL! Face completely melted off yesterday when this materialised on Agnes_Guano's Tales From Coprographic Oceans. It's like the song you were expecting the Polyphonic Spree to deliver but they never did.

Old: Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - No One Home
        Face melted the second this dropped at Backstreet! Soul Club in Norwich and then lovely Galtee Mountain Casual didn't just tip me off it was on an album but sent it to me!

I love him.

BFF.

Sayin'
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Jimmy Curtiss - Psychedelic Situation

This groovy pop psych single has been doing it for me. When I first heard it earlier in the year I searched high a low for a US copy of the single, even put a want up on Waxi, nothing (I'm sure it's not rare as it's on Laurie, it's just more a case of it's tricky to turn up)! Then I found a French copy at Utrecht, happy days!

It's a great track, kinda of reminds me of the Move or Troggs when they go down the poppy psych road. -

(
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Mr Sayers: The drums on that are mental. I'm not sure if it's crappy Youtube or what but are they phased?
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

They sound like that on the record to my ears anyway, you can try another Youtube clip to check as it's on there twice.
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Loving that Craig (as you know )

I think my favourite tune which I turned up this year was this snotty fuzzy take on a classic

And this Utrecht nab was a late contender

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                  What single tune, old or new, blew you away in 2013? Have a think while you neck those mince pies, or during those moments when you regain consciousness! Should make for an interesting line up.
                  Mine came courtesy of a playlist from the Eclectic Mud boys. Never heard it before, picked one up immediately after hearing it. Cheers chaps.

I first heard the A-side on the Etienne 'Paris70' mix which I'm finding really hard to track down again. Immediately got myself a copy only to discover that the B-side was a minter too. Glad you dig it!

My tune of 2013 isn't necessarily my favourite, but have pretty much played it to death this year (to the dismay of the paying public).

I'm trying to find something you don't like...

Comment

Thanks for joining in chaps, some great tunes so far Will be hunting some down in time
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Heard this on a comp. Thought it was a contemporary US Free Kitten-type thing. Turned out to be over 40 years old. Got a completely trashed copy cheaps from the Truman Brewery fair a few weeks later. Brill tune.

There's a UK issue on Major Minor retitled "Love You" complete with altered lyric. Which kind of takes the sting out it somewhat.
                      Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

top tune Mang - it's the guy that did Space Hymns isn't it ? with his missus ..... pure riot girl psych !!
                        Rockwell
                        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Tough thread - bought stacks of new stuff but from the old gear I have purchased this really falls into place ... seems to be where I am at musically right now - wherever that may be !!

The Michael Head EP has been a highlight too - there was a time when it looked like it wouldn't happen ... thank heavens it did ....

This got tons of plays - and then I picked up the Tam White version.
                          Rockwell
                          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

New 45....just crept into 2013;

The Valdons 'Stop, wait a minute girl' (Secret Stash)

Old 45....I've known about it for a while, but finally added a copy to my collection this year;

Pervis Herder 'Honkey tonk junk' (Inner Ear)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
                              I first heard the A-side on the Etienne 'Paris70' mix which I'm finding really hard to track down again. Immediately got myself a copy only to discover that the B-side was a minter too. Glad you dig it!

My tune of 2013 isn't necessarily my favourite, but have pretty much played it to death this year (to the dismay of the paying public).

Here's the link to that excellent mix

https://soundcloud.com/sixtonarmor/olsun-paris70

'Kiss This' is a great tune!! I like his version of 'Venus' off the other lp too.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X