No announcement yet.

How I taught my son to love vinyl ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I taught my son to love vinyl ....

Apologies if this has been posted already ......

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...inyl?CMP=fb_us
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Ugh. What a load of bollocks. I felt physically sick reading this passage:

I still have my jazz and blues vinyl, and reconnecting with John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme in its original gatefold sleeve on the Impulse label was the nearest I’ll come to a religious experience.

Moved to tears

Playing the record after almost 25 years I was almost moved to tears as my living room was filled with music of such warmth, fullness and richness you simply don’t hear on digital. I felt I was in the studio with the band as they put the tracks down.

Even turning over the album to side two was like a spiritual act. I felt an intimacy; that Coltrane had recorded this piece of music solely for my listening pleasure – I could touch it, feel it and smell it. And I could read the sleeve notes including Coltrane’s A Love Supreme poem and his note to the “Dear Listener” acknowledging his faith in God and how his masterpiece recording was conceived.
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

I agree. These articles are the Hornbyesque equivalent of Nigella Lawson. Those breathy intimacies and fondling her french fancies, this is just the record collecting equivalent. "Warmth of the sound", "the ritual of turning the record over" - vomit. There should be a vinyl revival bingo card.

What about the actual real reasons for collecting, none of this inter-generational bonding crap. Record collecting is about DJIng in bars, blagging free drinks, getting wasted and trying to get off with women who're too young for me, meeting like minded weirdos, and benign management of my obsessive compulsive disorder. Facing down the void through shopping.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Don't front on the warmth. I've got so much vinyls I didn't even have to turn on my heating this winter.

Comment

"trying to get off with women who're too young for me"
          Don't try that at work.

Comment

I had a mutual acquaintance of ours in mind when I wrote that.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

"I had a mutual acquaintance of ours in mind when I wrote that."
              So she's too young for you and you've tried to cop off with her - which mutual acquaintance is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                I agree. These articles are the Hornbyesque equivalent of Nigella Lawson. Those breathy intimacies and fondling her french fancies, this is just the record collecting equivalent. "Warmth of the sound", "the ritual of turning the record over" - vomit. There should be a vinyl revival bingo card.

What about the actual real reasons for collecting, none of this inter-generational bonding crap. Record collecting is about DJIng in bars, blagging free drinks, getting wasted and trying to get off with women who're too young for me, meeting like minded weirdos, and benign management of my obsessive compulsive disorder. Facing down the void through shopping.
                Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                  So she's too young for you and you've tried to cop off with her - which mutual acquaintance is that?
                  Pretty much all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                    Pretty much all of them.
                    Come on now, even I know who yall are talking about..I think..

Agreed that this excessive nostalgia for the vinyl format is tired. It makes it all about format fetishism, which while being a small part of it, is largely beside the point.

Comment

Woah! I think dad is onto something there with that "crate digging" malarkey. Excellent finds too! Roxy Music, Steely Dan,Joe Jackson, The Clash, Dire Straits? DIRE STRAITS? Who would inflict that on their children? Sounds like a control freak to me. I've got a picture of a Jeremy Clarkson type person forming in my head Good luck to them though, it takes all types....doesn't it?
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Strange article, but not untypical for the Gruaniad.
                        This person sounds like one of the posters on this mad, bad, unintentionally hilarious and freakish forum.. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/ where there are pointless threads
                        about Beatles matrix numbers and 50 something American males use images of pre pubescant girls as thier avatars, and generally lick the arse of 'mein host' Steve Guffman.

I'm thinking the same as treeboy in that this person slightly gives me the creeps, I mean who says shite like this -
                        "Our Who-influenced punk band never really got going and, rather bizarrely, I ended up playing drums in a jazz band in Austria when I was 19 and started listening to cats such as Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Weather Report, Frank Zappa and Sun Ra"
                        'Listening to cats such as Miles Davis' err...what? groovy daddio!

Actually I would have liked to have heard a Who influenced punk band informed by the greats such as Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Weather Report, Zappa and Sun Ra.
                        It probably would have sounded half as good in this chaps mind when he wrote the piece.
                        Reality is a bastard sometimes though.

Still, not to dwell on the negative, hopefully this might inspire more young 'uns to get into vinyl.

Then again.....
                        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

I know a chazza where the vinyls are a mere 25p each. Could be a good starting point.
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Working...
                          X