Fairport Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairport Find

Found a nice LP today for 40p - Fairport Convention's "What We Did On Our Holidays" on pink Island... sounds like a nice psych-folk LP, enjoying it even more than their first LP.

Anyone else into this or am I on my own amongst vultures?

fantastic LP, mate - you can't go wrong with the first five fairports!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Was a big hit with me back inthe mid-80's still love it. I;ve never seen a non-trashed copy other than the one I taped from a mate back then.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Yes, I've not seen one before. This one's not mint, but it's not trashed thankfully. It's meant to be quite hard to turn up I think. I love the sleeve, too. First thing I've found this year, just about!

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
          fantastic LP, mate - you can't go wrong with the first five fairports!
          Thanks John, I'll make a note of the first five. Only 3 to go.

Comment

Nice find! Worth having for 'Fotheringay' and 'Meet On The Ledge' alone, but I love the whole LP. 'Mr Lacey' has a special place in my heart as I attended an installation of Bruce Lacey's machines at the old Midland Group arts Centre in Notts many many years ago and saw him wandering about among them, playing on his saxophone...a memorable sight! I've got the first 4 Fairports (up to 'Leige & Leif'), but what's the fifth? Is that 'Babbacombe Lee'? If so, must pick that up next time I see one at a reasonable price...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

'Full House'. No female vocals, but the first appearance of 'Sloth', some great Richard Thompson guitar, and a set of extremely dark sleevenotes.

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                'Full House'. No female vocals, but the first appearance of 'Sloth', some great Richard Thompson guitar, and a set of extremely dark sleevenotes.
                Cheers, I'll keep an eye open for that one then...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I have the first five LP's (split between vinyl and CD copies) but I only really like the first LP. Still need a vinyl copy of that one but as you know it don't come cheap.

Did get the Sandy Denny LP from 1972 for £1 yesterday. Quite listenable throughout (brass arrangements by Allen Toussaint) but probably too folky for most folks.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record
                    I have the first five LP's (split between vinyl and CD copies) but I only really like the first LP. Still need a vinyl copy of that one but as you know it don't come cheap.
                    There's a U.S. pressing which isn't nearly as expensive...

Comment

I got the Incredible String Band's first LP in a charity shop last weekend, but never got round to listening to it and then left it round my girlfriend's gaff. Is it any good?
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

I was quite lucky too, as it was this issue with the old E J Day sleeve...

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildat...mnr=4037971582

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
                          I got the Incredible String Band's first LP in a charity shop last weekend, but never got round to listening to it and then left it round my girlfriend's gaff. Is it any good?
                          I got a copy of the ISB's 'The Hangman's Lovely Daughter' LP ages ago (dunno if that's their first one?), and to be honest it didn't do much for me. Maybe it's time for a reappraisal, though..........?

Comment

Working...
                          X