Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop suggestion (playing music related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop suggestion (playing music related)

Hello all

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and is looking forward to NYE.

My current laptop is slowly dying so I've decided to get a new one in the sales.

I used to buy a lot of new releases, but this has really dwindled over the years, mainly because a lot of the stuff I would buy is not released on vinyl.

My plan is to download a lot of stuff on my laptop and also use whatever programs laptop dj's use to put mixes together for the car or to listen to at home. However I'm a complete Luddite regarding this, so I'm hoping one of you can guide me!

What would be a good laptop and music program thingy for my needs?

All assistance will be greatly appreciated!
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

all depends on:
    1) budget;
    2) what you're used to using (in the day job, at home etc).

mac people will say buy a mac and use garageband (bundled with the mac) software to make a mix. 600 quid upward new. macbook air is very light, fast enough, portable, has solid-state data storage so you can drop it without issue and it's quiet and fast. expensive.

pc people will say buy a pc and use audacity (free) or reaper (very cheap) software to make a mix. half-decent pc laptops start at 250 upward. decent pc laptops 400+. thinkpads are solid.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I don't know anything about computers either but I had to get one a year ago so I had a few things to consider. I didn't want to spend more than £400 but I wanted at least an Intel i5 processor. There wasn't much with a decent chip at that price and I ended up with a Lenovo Thinkpad which was on sale. So I'm saying put a decent processor at the top of your list. As for battery life, which some computers make great claims for, we have 5 different makes of laptop in this house and they are all about the same for battery. Some miniscule things can make quite a big difference though; my partner has a Samsung and when she presses her touch pad it actually clicks, and it drives me mad. Also consider the keyboard; flat or dished keys? Mine are dished and it just feels more definite when you hit one ie. my finger doesn't skid off. Good speakers on mine, too. Some are shockingly bad. If you've got money to burn buy a Mac. If you are a gamer then you're going to have to pay quite a bit.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Thanks for all the tips gents! I've never used apple products, so I think I'll stick with a PC. Thinkpad seems to be the route to go.
        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

I use a Lenovo Ideapad with MixMeister Fusion as the music program thingy.

Comment

Working...
          X