Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first record on your turntable in 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first record on your turntable in 2014?

This was mine -

Inner Dialogue

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Eh... I just continued listening to the pile of records I feel I haven't listened enough to before putting in the shelves... so... this was at the top of the pile:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

No records so far, but I have had the pleasure of listening to Babycart and Mumbles xmas swaps so far today, both splendid!
      Yesterday I did wheel out Lionel Ritchie which got a funny look from my wife, but it reminds me of some good NYE parties
      Fiesta Forever
      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

First NYE I went tee-total until noon today that is... Played this first - end-to-end... forget how good it is...

followed by

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

New Year morning is a time to request augury on the year ahead.

For the first time ever I remembered to enact an old English tradition I once read about. I cleared the kitchen table, took my copy of the Holy Bible (King James of course, Bible fans) and opened it in a heightened state, seeking guidance. This be the verse:

15:25 But Pekah the son of Remaliah, a captain of his, conspired against him, and smote him in Samaria, in the palace of the king's house, with Argob and Arieh, and with him fifty men of the Gileadites: and he killed him, and reigned in his room." (2 Kings 15:23-25 KJV)
          It will be a year of unholy conspiracy, smiting, usurping, death and ignoble rule for me.

I then tried the same trick on my record collection, standing in front of it and letting a record find my hand. It was A Web of Sound by The Seeds. I hadn't listened to this much in 2013. Maybe once or twice, and certainly not all the way through. So I had some coffee and tidied up whilst blasting both sides at max volume. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Not only was this one of my favourite albums when I was a teenager, but the record I have now, bought a couple of years ago, is a top quality OG and sounds just brilliant. So loud and clear.

But what does this mean for me? Let's have a look at the track listing:

A1 Mr. Farmer - Self explanatory. I will become a farmer. Possibly of organic 'hemp'.
          A2 Pictures and Designs - My art collection will expand? Painting lessons?
          A3 Tripmaker - I hope this is go on a holiday rather than get high (which would be great but I haven't been away for 2 years - yes 2 years!!!)
          A4 I Tell Myself Speak to myself more than I do? Yes?
          A5 A Faded Picture Bad news for the art collection
          A6 Rollin' Machine Not give up smoking
          B1 Just Let Her Go Clingy with ladies
          B2 Up In Her Room But it pays off man, it pays off!

So. Another year of quite public facing conspiracy and warfare mixed with some intense personal/hemp growth and art acquisition.

I do encourage other board members to indulge in some record augury today. Happy New Year!
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Evil Hoodoo...

Great LP mate, I've just had their debut on.

BTW...I nearly started a Seeds thread/poll last night!
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

No vinyl so far. A few days ago I had my head turned and was seduced by some new technology. My wife bought me a SONOS Play1 for my birthday.

Can't help but be amazed at the technology. Great sound, thousands of radio stations - have already dipped into Radio Costa Rica and Radio Guyana, played a friend of ours some Latvian Polka to make him feel at home, and some Bluegrass and Funk amongst other things. It also introduced me to Amazon Cloud Player which I wasn't previously aware of. All the music purchases I have made through Amazon down the years are there catalogued and available to play/stream! (this is actually quite scary when you think about it). Also I could upload my entire collection of mp3 files to the Amazon Cloud (for a very small fee) and then select any play them through the SONOS. I would therefore never have to have a computer on to listen to my mp3 collection (the SONOS can be controlled via a smartphone app!).

The only thing I can't do (although I might be able to if I bought a SONOS Connect at nearly £300) is play my vinyl as a line in to it).

Listening to WFMU Give The Drummer Some Radio as I type.

(This is not an advert for SONOS, and apologies if you are already aware of its capabilities - I am just mighty impressed).

Comment

My decks were being used at a house party - my girlfriend was on the wheels of steel at the crucial moment and I think that the last tune of 2013 was Ruth - Polaroid Roman Photo and the first of 2014 was the Sllits version of Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  BTW...I nearly started a Seeds thread/poll last night!
                  Do so, I love da Seeds!

Candiman - I have never heard of SONOS but that thing sounds ace

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                  the first of 2014 was the Sllits version of Heard It Through The Grapevine.
                  Hands down one of the best singles ever. I played it at a wedding last year and it killed the dancefloor which upset me.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I guess that in this instance that's "killed" in a bad way not a good way?

Comment

Yes, ceased the dancefloor, or diminished it at least. And I was doing so well!

Comment

Needed something mellow to start me up around midday, so it was this

https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

This after a family lunch

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preflyte

Followed by

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessey_and_Oracle

Yep it's all a bit mojo.
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

Hands down one of the best singles ever. I played it at a wedding last year and it killed the dancefloor which upset me.
                            If you would have played Lionel Ritchie you would have all the fine ladies clambering all over you begging for more pfffttt!
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

The first I put on was Duke Ellington's English Concert, as it was part of a pile of records on a little charity shop run yesterday. The highlight is another live version of this, which is rather good:

I then spoiled the mood created by Duke with a 1980s Mike Love solo LP.
                              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Working...
                              X