Phil Everly RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Everly RIP

Sad news this morning. Big influence on The Beatles, Beach Boys and therefore a lot of music that came after. Probably not a duo that gets flagged up on the forum very often, but I feel it's worth marking the passing of one half of one of the "bedrock" influences on popular music.

My favourite tune by them? Has to be this

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

RIP Phil.

They did loads and loads of great stuff, it's a digging rule of mine that I never pass an Everly Bros 45 I don't know... here's a few of faves...

and If anybody hasn't heard their Roots album, you owe it to your self to do so.

So many great tunes... and with his brother some of the most perfect harmonies ever.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

A great talent, RIP

A fave of mine -

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

74 is no kind of age at all in California.
        So many great, great songs across many many years.

One particular standout for me, though . . . at least that springs to mind just now.

For the ROOTS LP, they re-recorded versions of their earlier track I Wonder If I Care As Much.
        It's one of the most haunting and powerfully understated pieces of music I've ever heard.
        As good as It's A Beautiful Day Today by Moby Grape in that dreamy cowboys west coast hazy kind of way.
        And that's saying something.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Heard Peel play this a few times from the Star Spangled Springer album

North of the River Cole

Comment

Sad news, indeed.

Agree about all the praise for "Roots", it's a great album. This song isn't bad either, "Christmas Eve Can Kill You". I hope this choice isn't too morbid at a time like this. I just think it's a really great song.

Bonnie Prince Billy and Dawn McCarthy made a great version of this song the other year, btw.

Comment

Just been watching 'Songs of Innocence and Experience' again. My favourite song by the brothers is probably their version of 'Bowling Green.'

Comment

So many good tracks to choose from. Hitwise, "Cathy's Clown" is still a fave but this cheeky number also puts a smile on the face:

The "Beat & Soul" LP from 1965 is highly recommnded as well.
                "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Many thanks for the recommendations for Roots. Picked it up, and love it. Cheers Hugh & Fuz
                  Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Many thanks for the recommendations for Roots. Picked it up, and love it. Cheers Hugh & Fuz
                    I'm assuming you already have this LP mate?

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Working...
                    X