Scott Walker - one track 'for beginners'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Walker - one track 'for beginners'

If you were to pick just one Scott Walker track to play to the uninitiated, what would you go for?

Asking because it's his birthday on Thursday and I'm on the radio, so it's a good excuse as any to play one or two of his. Hmm, or make Scott 4 (or 3?) the album of the week...

I love Big Louise. Angels of Ashes runs a close second.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

The Old Man's Back Again

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
        The Old Man's Back Again
        Ditto that.

Or Jackie if you wanted to be less 'cool' and more golden oldie sureshot.
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

as above twice on "The Old Man's Back Again"

Montague Terrace (In Blue) is a bit of treat too...
          "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Blimey, tough one. So many. I like 'Little Things (That Keep us Together)' because it has an unstoppable forward propulsion, or how about ' Blanket Roll Blues' which really shows off his voice to good effect.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

I've only got "Scott II" and a handful of his 45s. This is by far my favourite though I'm aware it's almost entirely unrepresentative of the rest of his oeuvre.

Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Yeah, you've got the idea of where I'm headed - I'm keen to avoid something like 'Jackie' - not that it's a duff song, it's just that it's always more fun to dig a little deeper...

Comment

'The Electrician', love when the orchestration comes in about halfway through.

Comment

I also love Angels Of Ashes, but I might also suggest It's Raining Again, that eerie string wash behind the start of the song... or how about The Amorous Humphrey Plugg?

Comment

Good suggestions but how about Farmer in the City?
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                          This is by far my favourite though I'm aware it's almost entirely unrepresentative of the rest of his oeuvre.

I hate to disagree, but I do, rather: 'Get Behind Me' and 'The Old Man's Back Again' are clearly cut from the same cloth. There are many sides to Scott, which is probably why it is proving difficult to choose just one track. You need a long one with lots of bits to it.

SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Hmm, or make Scott 4 (or 3?) the album of the week...
                            This!

I would struggle to pick one track.

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                              The Old Man's Back Again
                              This...you know it makes sense !
                              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                              X