I'm A Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm A Man

Does anyone remember a long (probably about 6 to 8 minutes) instrumental version of Spencer Davis Group's 'I'm A Man'? The production was similar to the original but it turned into more of a jam. It used to do the rounds at mod nights a few years ago, and I remember it was on one of those Pebbles/Rubble offshoot compilations. There's so many of them out there that I lost track of which one it was on.

Adam Best ...but it's probably not it the one....

Don't know the Spencer Davis original but the Adam Best instrumental version from his Wall of Sound LP is great (as mentioned in Lords of Lounge vol 1) is great.

But I don't think it's six minutes..so it's probably not the one...
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

are you thinking of The Serfs? There are vocals in it but is 80% instro + weighs in around that length of time - certainly merges into a jam
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I'm A Man

Sounds like it could be that. What's it available on?

Comment

you can pick it up for $5/10 easy if you look about
          SERFS
          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

What's that Italian version on one of the Phase 6's? Green Future? That one is just incredible, and certainly a jam..

Comment

Manuel Gas has a great version of that tune. Macho, italodisco outfit, also did a dicofied version of that, and now again recently released an album by Ebony Rhythm Band where they do a rip off of that tune by the title Drugs Ain't Cool, if i'm not mistaken...

Comment

Might be Chicago Transit Authority - LP version has a long instro jam in the middle the 45 edits this out.

They became soft rockers Chicago but don't let that put you off - their first 3 LPs are class!
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

It's not 6-8 minutes long (but what mod tracks are???) but could be Wynder K Frog's version. Allegedly recorded live at Brigitte Bardot's birthday party...
                  Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Chicago have a version of 'Im a man' on one of their live albums.
                    I have it laying around somewhere but cant find it at the moment so Im unable to offer any more info.

Comment

Thanks everyone. That's a lot of versions to keep me busy with. I think my one is probably The Serfs version, but of course if it's not, the journey's as much fun as the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by paolo
                        Thanks everyone. That's a lot of versions to keep me busy with. I think my one is probably The Serfs version, but of course if it's not, the journey's as much fun as the destination.
                        The Serfs version kind of digresses into the Bo Diddley song of the same name for a while in the middle section by the way - does the one you've heard do that?

Also remembered I have a long version of it by Paul Nero on an LP called 'Maxi Rock' which is pretty good too.

Anyone got any more versions? One of my fave tunes!
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Actually no, I don't remember it turning into the Bo Diddley version. I remember it was really high tempo and heavy on the funky hammond, and I think that the only vocals were the chorus, with the verses just instrumental. It was on one of the many pebbles/nuggets/rubble/boulders comps, and the track listing ran in a circle around the sleeve. Ring any bells?

Comment

Baker St. Irregulars?
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Could be. Is there any site you know of with sound clips to help check it out?

Comment

Working...
                              X