Post Digital Behavioural Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Digital Behavioural Response

Apologies if these things drive you up the wall.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-9049673.html
    record licker

Fans buying the vinyl are not necessarily listening to it, since 27 per cent of them don’t even own a turntable. Since most vinyl releases also come with a code to download the album digitally, there is the option to collect and admire them as artworks, showing commitment to supporting music and connecting more closely with an artist’s work, while listening to the music digitally.

Comment

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
      Apologies if these things drive you up the wall.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-9049673.html
      They do!

7.4 billion tracks streamed in the UK in 2013 vs LP sales of 780,000

Vinyl revival my arse
      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
        They do!

7.4 billion tracks streamed in the UK in 2013 vs LP sales of 780,000

Vinyl revival my arse
        It's all relative..... the number of LPs sold doubled from last year. That's the key. If it keeps up annual doubling over the next 3 years you are looking at over 6m sales in 2016. It will never compete with digital streamed and downloaded tracks - but it will surely soon return as the only viable physical format.
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

The thing that bugs me is when someone asks you about the music you buy and when you tell them it's records they'll say,'Yes, I've heard they're making them again now', as if production of records just stopped twenty years ago but thanks to The Arctic Monkeys, and Jack White, records are being made again. I work in a school with about 130 staff and I don't know a single other person there who buys records. Few enough have even the slightest interest in music in the first place.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
            It's all relative..... the number of LPs sold doubled from last year. That's the key. If it keeps up annual doubling over the next 3 years you are looking at over 6m sales in 2016. It will never compete with digital streamed and downloaded tracks - but it will surely soon return as the only viable physical format.
            If annual UK LP sales ever reach 6m again I'll eat my copy of Big Jim H!
            it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
            take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
              If annual UK LP sales ever reach 6m again I'll eat my copy of Big Jim H!

Yes - I think your copy will probably be safe! Let's see if this thread resurfaces in 3 years.....
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

You always have to scan for actual stats in these articles. I thought the claim that 14% of 18-24 age group had bought a record in the last month was interesting but veering towards unbelievable.
                "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                  You always have to scan for actual stats in these articles. I thought the claim that 14% of 18-24 age group had bought a record in the last month was interesting but veering towards unbelievable.
                  on a side note these have been making me laugh recently :

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Tsundoku - it's clearly nonsense. Even if each of those 14% only bought one record in the last month, that would be somewhere in the region of 700,000 records, just to people 24 and under in a month. Compare that to the 780,000 LPs sold in total in a year. Even taking into account 7" and 12", it's patently rubbish.

Perhaps it could be 14% of those who bought music, although that isn't what is suggested. Alternatively, it is just PR fluff attempting to suggest the one area of physical sales that is bearing up is young and hip rather than nerdy and fogeyish.
                    Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I say it's a good thing
                      In 18 months when it's not cool anymore all these young hipsters will start off loading their unwanted vinyl and it will be a good time to pick this stuff up for cheap - always assuming you like this kind of stuff!

Anyway, until teenage hipsters are interested in the music I like I don't see it having any effect on me
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Working...
                      X