Digging 00s Library Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging 00s Library Music

In quiet moments over the last few months I've been genuinely enjoying some mad, synthy 00s Library Music after really enjoying Ashra's Vector Wave 80s synths affair from the VG+ Swap last year.

No 00s library is available on vinyl (obviously) but lots of it is attainable on CD and many of the titles from the likes of Lift Music, Poke Library, Big Screen Music etc.. spring up fairly often on Ebay and when they do they're often really cheap.

Another cool thing... you can hear full tracks at various sites all over the internet. Great with an Ipad on your lap and headphones.

I started on this site and it's easy enough to navigate around. Different labels are at the top of every page.

DNA Musik

Also, if after listening you really want one particular CD badly you can contact the companies direct.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

There must be plenty of buried gems out there, any pointers would be appreciated.

I have picked up some great titles on Atmosphere from the mid 90s on... will try and revisit this thread with more details once I'm back in Sonovox central.

Comment

I´d love a job describing library music.

Breezy Riviera atmosphere with underlying harpsichord intrigue.

Brutal analogue synth shocks over a queasy miasma of bleeps

Triumphant clenched-fist back-of-the-net synthesised brass fanfare
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

You're hired!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Strangely reminiscent of high end menu prose...

Carpaccio of reconstituted salsify membrane, etiolated pork interlock, textures of bracken.

Comment

During the noughties I spent a lot of time working for various broadcasting companies... During this time I happened across a number of Library CD's which nobody wanted and subsequently I ended up with them.

There's some cracking stuff in them, I'm not sure of the vintage of them all exactly, but the ones I've hung onto generally tend to be jazz soul funk psych sixties influenced... many may actually be recycled sounds from the 60's 70's, all on CD not vinyl alas... I know some are actually the James Taylor Quartet in disguise, and are rumoured to be worth something...

One series called "Lo Editions" not only has wonderful artwork but is also very much a rip off / influenced by Ninja tunes tummy touch trip hop and all manner of trendy more contemporary sounds... This sort of stuff.

Anyway I've some spares and some I don't need... WHEN you make it up to Edinburgh Ian you're welcome to them.

I've always meant to do a proper investigation of them and a mix / comp, next years Xmas mix perhaps. Another project in the queue...
            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I work with a music library who do quite a lot of the sort of screaming guitars / explosions / giant robot headbutting a space station blockbuster music.

When I need a chuckle / break from database programming or whatever I just glance down the list of thousands of unique track titles that they have to come up with to sell these 'bzzzzwerp-DOOOF' noises. I can just picture the conversation; 'have we used CYBER SCREECH before?' 'yeah, I think so, how about BLOODY SQUAWK?'. In fact I might make a random name generator for libraries that combines ROBOT+GORE+FX to save time.
              MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                One series called "Lo Editions" not only has wonderful artwork but is also very much a rip off / influenced by Ninja tunes tummy touch trip hop and all manner of trendy more contemporary sounds... This sort of stuff.
                I always get those when I see them, as they usually have a couple of tracks by ex-Vulture (and jolly talented chap) Wooly on them - I get a feeling they're going to be quite sought after one day.

I've salvaged many library CDs as the various radio stations I've worked for over the years closed down. Can't bear to see them chucked, even if they're not to my taste.

Comment

I've got loads of those Lo Editions CDs. Lots of Ghost Box-type peeps contributing tracks: Jon Brooks (Advisory Cirlce), Jim Jupp (Belbury Poly), Richard Norris, Gruff Rhys, Simon Johns/Andy Ramsay (Stereolab. I think most of those tracks are recycled from an earlier commercial release on Lo Editions actually), Brian Dougans/Gary Cobain (FSOL), Jonny Trunk etc. Artwork more often than not by Pete Fowler. What's not to like??
                  Last edited by Mang; 14-01-2014, 09:43 PM.
                  Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                    There must be plenty of buried gems out there, any pointers would be appreciated.
                    I'll go through what I have and stick some here in the next few weeks.

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                    I know some are actually the James Taylor Quartet in disguise, and are rumoured to be worth something...
                    I've got this one from 2000 where the James Taylor Quartet are not in any sort of disguise whatsoever. It's Bruton BRH102 Swinging London but I don't suspect it's worth much as it has had a 'proper' release now under the same title and in a bland blue cover.

Originally posted by ashra View Post
                    I work with a music library who do quite a lot of the sort of screaming guitars / explosions / giant robot headbutting a space station blockbuster music.
                    X-Ray Dog or a UK equivalent? Dozens of sound-a-likes have sprung up to get a slice of of their lucrative film trailer / computer games action.
                    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                      I'll go through what I have and stick some here in the next few weeks.

I've got this one from 2000 where the James Taylor Quartet are not in any sort of disguise whatsoever. It's Bruton BRH102 Swinging London but I don't suspect it's worth much as it has had a 'proper' release now under the same title and in a bland blue cover.
                      There are a few JTQ Bruton releases. I've got one from 1997-ish ("Retro Acid Jazz") around the same time as Bruton began delving into their back catalogue for CD reissue - there's a really great CD with loads of Peer International tracks like "Chicano Chaser" and cuts from the Big Hammer album. In fact at work I am processing all the Mood CDs we inherited from the World Service when Bush House closed. Saw another JTQ/Bruton today - can't remember the title though - I'll have a look tomorrow.
                      Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

My JTQ one is on Bruton from 2004 and called "The Hustle"...
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

A few of those Lo CDs have tracks by Wolf People, too ..... Credited under their surnames
                          OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

OK, so Atmosphere music library.

There's a few discs that I really enjoy, they have a sound that's best described as a kind of a merging of hyperactive dance sounds with a kind of retro/easy/lounge sensibility, great arrangements with a kitchen sink approach to hopping between lots of different instruments. A couple of names that always seems to be associated with quality stuff are Steve Everitt and Pete Thomas, but there's a regular gang.

But you can hear all this stuff online nowadays, so some links below.

There's one called "Big Fun" which I really like - check out the tracks "Harem Heaven", "Havana Horn", "Beer Goggles", "Panic Attack"... pretty much anything, actually.

Also some nice bits in the same line on Clubland 2 (Loungebound, Retrostep, Purple Pussycat), and on Crazy Summer (Surf Hound, Indian Summer, Turkey Shoot). I also like Rhythm Royale which is Pete Thomas stuff and more explicitly retro, but has a couple of tracks with an amusing mutant approach; "Copacabongo", "Honkin'", "Curse Of The Mummy", "Mustang".

It's kind of clownish and fun stuff, not sure if to anyone else's taste round here. There's plenty more in the catalogue to explore though, as this is just what I've skimmed from a few CDs I've picked up along the way.
                            Last edited by Sonovox; 15-01-2014, 10:21 AM. Reason: prouf reeding

Comment

I've got a box of Lo Editions, don't think I've ever listened to it! Will dig it out...

Comment

Working...
                              X