Stylus replacement tip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stylus replacement tip-off

To put it plain, my first step into the world of dust and grooves was made after purchasing a budget Technics SL 2000 table fitted with the Ortofon OMB 5 cartridge/stylus. Bought this one from a buyer who in his turn had it shipped from Germany. My request on the stylus condition was not altogether ignored but answered in a slightly tricky way: 'No clue, the stylus isn`t mint but plays properly'.
    The stylus has been in use for my sound pleasure nearly half a year. Treated neatly and never abused. I have not checked it with a looking glass for spotting potential wearing yet. Just in prospect, what stylus is attainable as a decent (or better) substitute for that 5 one from the OMB cartridge with the former left intact supposing I am limited to 50-60 American banknotes???

I stick to Ortofon 5E or 10 as a party to my OMB cart...
    Curtsies guaranteed!
    DANCE TO THE RADIO

I am confused as to what you are asking, but I can't see any reason to buy a second hand stylus unless it is a very specific vintage one and you trust the buyer. Neither seems to apply here.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

the thing is that I bought the used turntable with the used stylus that I`v been using for half a year and know some day it`ll die hence I asked for a tip what needle to use to replace the current one (Ortofon OMB 5) being is use.
      pardon my "use" abuse and that fly Z-buzzing involved
      DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Ortofon are a good brand, why not go for another?
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I am not an expert but I think 20 european banknotes could get you a new Ortofon OMB 5E. Which seems to be a bit better.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Ortofon are a good brand, why not go for another?
            I am not an expert but I think 20 european banknotes could get you a new Ortofon OMB 5E. Which seems to be a bit better.
            That is exactly what I pondered over this morning. 5E or 10.
            For one, guys, thanks for reinforcing my own thoughts on the issue!
            DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Ok - I misunderstood.
              My rule is"if you think you need a new needle, you need a new needle".
              Ortofon are good. Maybe any of theirs? I think some are made for DJing or scratching so only get those if you need.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Don't go second hand...

Ortofon 5E is the default choice on a lot of new decks (e.g. the Pro-ject range). I tried the Ortofon 10 on my Dad's set-up but couldn't really tell the difference. I did however notice an improvement when I used Ortofon 2M Reds on my own decks (1210s). There are much more expensive needles but my ears can't hear the difference...

Comment

I tried the Ortofon 10 on my Dad's set-up but couldn't really tell the difference.
                  A pointer, Sammy! I`m still in a fence-hanger position. Gonna have an eagle look at my OMB 5 stylus tonight to see 'what condition my condition was in'. Financially I`m ready to part with 40-50 dollars for a gear so 2M Red is dismissed. Besides, they say OMB 5 are out of production and that prompted me to start picking an alternative and possibly better sounding needle for my OMB cart in the abovementioned price range. It feels I`m gonna try the ortofon 10. For one, I`m not a sound maniac allright and have never chased the dream of hearing a blessed voice out of the speakers. I`m more a what-is-in-my-record cabinet aficionado.
                  DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Defo get a new needle. Ortofon are great and can ride quite light on your records. If you wanna play out I have been playing with the sure scratch needles recently. Not that I scratch but also they don't scratch your records if you want to back queue especially on 45s and don't jump about when you do so
                    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                      Ortofon are great and can ride quite light on your records
                      This is one of the things that turned me onto them - you can have the weight set low so (in theory) you're wearing your records less.

Comment

you can have the weight set low so (in theory) you're wearing your records less.
                        1.75?
                        That is what is suggested in my TT manual. Not too hard on the Ortofon? For listening of course. I wonder if the weight setting differs for playing proper and spinning/scratching routine in general?
                        DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

The 5E is an elliptical stylus. As such, great high end, and a joy if your records are in very good shape, but will not play worn records or 45s too well.
                          It tracks at only1.8g. Definitely not something you'd want to scratch with. For that you need something far more robust which can take more downforce, like 4g or so. Plenty of shures and stantons designed for the purpose.
                          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Never heard a 5E but I used to have the OM10 (came installed on a new Dual CS505-4 'Audiophile Concept' TT) and I couldn't honestly recommend it.. good tracker 'n' all but I found the sound very mellow, inoffensive and bland. Thing is I only realised this when it wore out after several years and I replaced it with an Audio Technica (not even an expensive model) and suddenly was hearing punchy powerful sound and kicking myself for not swapping out the Ortofon earlier!

Comment

Never heard a 5E but I used to have the OM10 (came installed on a new Dual CS505-4 'Audiophile Concept' TT) and I couldn't honestly recommend it.. good tracker 'n' all but I found the sound very mellow, inoffensive and bland. Thing is I only realised this when it wore out after several years and I replaced it with an Audio Technica (not even an expensive model) and suddenly was hearing punchy powerful sound and kicking myself for not swapping out the Ortofon earlier!
                              Actually just today my mind was put on an Audio Technica AT 95E which is cheaper and positively commented on!
                              DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Working...
                              X