Fixing CD player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing CD player

Any procedures that people would recommend for fixing a CD player? I've bought one of those CD cleaner thingys off eBay but it doesn't rotate properly in my CD, so doesn't work. The player is about 16 years old and I've never cleaned it inside - - so that's going to be the first angle of attack. It still seems to play some commerically manufactured CDs okay but is having problems with "private burns" i.e. the mixswap CDs. Any thoughts (beyond buying another disc cleaner off ebay or sticking the vacuum cleaner nozzle in the machine)?
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

CD players work with a robot laser eye looking at the CD. The eye reads the grooves and the robot brain turns them into music. or something like that.
    I´ve had results by sticking a cotton bud inside and giving the bleary eye a wipe.

However, its´ almost certainly best to wait until our Elektiktronik arrives.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I've done that and it's worked. Was in the 1990s though so and I may be wrong. I say best go ahead now and then think of Elektikronik's arrival as a judgement scenario.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I've been having trouble with a lot of the swap cds too (including my own!). Bought a lens cleaner from Maplin, and it was ok for a while, then started playing up again
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Thank for the replies gentlemen. Maplins is the first port of call! Even if it doesn't work after a while, better than nowt.
          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

Forget those stupid cd cleaners. They're a scam - for a start, if the lens is dirty and can't get focus lock, then the thing won't usually rotate anyway, so the little brushes won't end up anywhere near the lens. Then, if it does spin, there's a good chance the crudely glued-on brushes will wreck the lens as they collide with it at several hundred rpm. Throw it away!

Only real way is to open the cd tray, yank the plug, then open up the machine by unscrewing the case. Use a Q tip moistened with head cleaner or isopropyl alcohol from a chemist's to gently clean the exposed lens.

On some players access is harder, you may need to unscrew and lift off the disc clamp to get more space. Not usually hard though.
            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Thanks mate! I will give this a go this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X