exploring a new genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exploring a new genre

where would you start if you were exploring a new genre?
    something that you liked as a kid so have some vague pointers from 20 years ago, but stopped listening to it in the mid 90s.
    i also think this genre has gone entirley digital now. Its also an genre that record shops seem to not know what to do with.
    im thinking of getting a few cd comps spread over a few years, and see if they lead anywhere. i dont want to really get many cds though and mp3 files are good for the ipod, but not really that satisfying or curing the urge to get out and dig
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Me? Post a thread about it on here or Waxidermy?
    Mixes on sound/mixcloud?
    Depending on what it is, surely someone on here has contributed sth relevant in the xmas swap?
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Try youtube for some pointers - I've managed to spend many an hour following recommendations from one track to another. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

well, its Dancehall / Ragga. a genre that i find totally alien to explore or research.
        ill check out soundcloud though, i hadnt thought of that.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I'm on a ragga tip Paul having bolstered my collection recently. Would be interested to join you!

Check out African Lala by Silver Fox from 1994. Not on YT but on Spotify. How good is his toasting?? Immensely fun.

Spend some time here: http://forum.dancehallreggae.com/for...ANCEHALL-Forum

It's pretty interesting!
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Says there they´re up to Strictly The Best 49. They don´t seem too impressed, but I always found those comps useful back then.

The first one had Gun In a Baggy and Wicked in Bed on it!
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

ace, thanks for the link. ill give that a good reading later.
              the past 6 months or so ive been leaning more to this worldof music, its totally different to what id listen to normally, but i did love it when i was 13 - 17ish. so i have got quite a bit from 91 - 94 but then nothing.
              im looking forward to finding white label hand stamped 12"s and more songs like Maddy Maddy Cry.
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                more songs like Maddy Maddy Cry.
                I never heard anything like that one.
                Remember my mate Gary playing it out and everyone going "WTF LOL AWESOME" or whatever people did before the internet.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Yup! That sounds GREAT!!! Here people:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                    well, its Dancehall / Ragga. a genre that i find totally alien to explore or research.
                    ill check out soundcloud though, i hadnt thought of that.
                    Hahah that Papa San thing is bonkers.

For this genre I'd suggest finding rhythms you like and follow the label/producers for similar stuff, you'll get a feel for the vocalists you like & dislike and be able to filter your search a bit better.

youtube + Ernie B's search parameters & soundclips are great resources for finding stuff too, if it's current stuff you're looking out for finding a radio show or two that you like is essential.

I like that stuff but the lyrical content can be problematic & has kind of driven me away from the genre, I still keep an eye on it cos when it's really good it's such a great thing, I still remember being utterly floored the first time I heard Ganja Farm at a Blood & Fire night that Mikey Don was guest DJing at.

Good luck, there's certainly a lot of stuff for you to go at.

Comment

Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Seeing as youre a fan, Eric/Paul

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Put some of the names into Juno. It'll then display who has included the song in one of their charts which should lead you onto similar songs hopefully.

Click on one of these songs, play the 60 sec sound clip. If you like it then follow another chart that someone has played that track on and so forth.

Comment

i really want to get out there digging rather than online, i need reasons to get out of the house.
                            i think its strange that most second hand record shops have no idea what to do with Reggae and hip hop, and even less of an idea what to do with dance music, though this could be just the shops i know about. im guessing London is a lot different
                            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

You surprise me, I thought Birmingham was a very multi-cultural place.
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X