Question about grading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about grading

Since I'm starting to sell some vinyl from time to time, I have a question about grading (hence the title).

Ex + , Nm copies are easy to grade, but the VG is where it gets tricky.

What's a Vg +, Vg, Vg - and even G + and G record?

How do you grade the amount of hiss and ticks in a vinyl? You know, what's a record with a some marks, a bit of hiss, some tickes, but still enjoyable, loud, good sound? I'd say a normal 40 year old record that wasn't owned by some collector/audiophile? When does a VG get a + or a -? When does it start to be a G record? I've bought some G+ records that were, to me, VG records. And I've boot some G records that were (to me) poor. I've even bought a Poor record that was still enjoyable to me.

Just thought to get your opinions about this ...

M
    NM
    VG+
    VG
    G

thats all you need if its strictly graded.
    no?
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I agree with the point that, no matter what system you use the poorer records are much harder to decide on. I suppose you need to take a stance and be consistent. Sometimes I've sold records that were VG or less and usually I've put a big warning on the grading as in maybe its vg maybe its G+ roughly it sounds and looks like this.....ask for pics or details.

I also agree that a simple system is best.

And then there's the murky world of play vs visual grade. As for the sound, a lot to my mind depends on the ratio of crackle to music, which depends on the music. So a folk record will probably be less forgiving than a metal one.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Also obviously if its VG or less it needs to be at least mdoerately sought after. If it is worth a fiver in nm then a G copy is barely worth the effort of bringing to a charity shop never mind listing.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Owning to the difference between the quality of playback systems, it's always good to grade based on a visual appraisal of the record. The + - appendices just "fine tune" the grade, and attempt to break it down as far as possible. Some rules of thumb, as I see them: Split seams or ringwear on a cover can never be Ex or higher. Ex- is the highest possible grade for such a cover. Most covers seen on ebay merit an Ex grade, most likely. For the vinyl, Mint means unplayed. NM or M- means it looks new, but I can't verify that it hasn't been played. Ex+ is next to flawless, but will have spindle marks indicating some play. Ex will have paper scuffs or the odd pressing flaw, but no actual scratches. Ex- and/or VG++ will have some hairline scratches. VG+ will have some larger, deeper scratches, some of which may be feelable. From there, it's all about the number and severity of the scratches.
          https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
            VG+ will have some larger, deeper scratches, some of which may be feelable.
            Blimey thats a VG- or a G in my book , remind me not to get any vinyl from you

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
              Blimey thats a VG- or a G in my book , remind me not to get any vinyl from you
              OK, will do.
              https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Sorry if this is too obvious: I found the discogs guidelines quite useful for both buyers and sellers.

http://www.discogs.com/help/marketplace/mp-grading
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

For me a VG record should still play well and will only have a bit of occasional surface noise, though may have lots of visible marks. Anything worse - big pops, distortion etc should not get a VG grade in my opinion however flawless the record may look.

Comment

Working...
                  X