VPI to remove hiss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPI to remove hiss?

A really exciting sexy thread for you - Okay, I picked up a record vis Discogs recently, reasonably expensive for me (£30) - but it has loud, recurring hiss on it through the last couple of tracks, which are quite quiet. The way this recurs with each rotation makes me think it's damage to the vinyl rather than dirt, but I can't see anything. I do want the record, so I'm wondering if a trip to one of the London shops with a VPI in will make any difference. Any thoughts?

I have contacted the seller and told him I'm probably going to send it back.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

What are wondering is, as I'm thinking the damage is to the vinyl, is the trip to VPI-land pointless? Sorry for so much excitement this early in the morning.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

My post won't really help you as I have no first hand experience of VPI cleaners so I apologise in advance but I was chatting to a guy recently who has a cleaner. Not a VPI but a cleaner that still vacuums the grooves. He swears that even after repeated washes a record can still retain the dirt deep in the grooves and hence the crackle but the vacuum removes that dust and makes a big difference.

I would still say if the vinyl is damaged that you're still gonna have the sound issue.

I'm pondering whether to got a UK psych LP cleaned as it looks scratch free but crackles more than I'd like.
      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Being stuck to the rule of washing all the records that come into possession, I daresay why not? I`m implementing a new (to me) "vacuum cleaner +" washing technique which is not the VPI but my records feel better and the hissing (where it is) seems to have faded away.
        DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Cheers guys. I think I will take it to the shop and give it go, in the name of experimention. Saves the ballache of buying the record all over again as well.

Comment

I'll let you know how I get on. All the Waxi guys are all so deep in tha game they seem to have VPIs, de-warpers, portables in the loo etc. but such accoutrements seen rare over here

Comment

All the Waxi guys are all so deep in tha game...
              But the name of the game stands still!
              A homely medley of a fistful of powder, tepid water, tap water post sluicing and final hoovering with a nozzle microfiber-wrapped saves the day.
              Hope you get rid off that fat sizzling in the long run!
              DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I find my Disco Antistat gives good results. I never thought of wrapping a hoover in microfibre. I might try that.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Dan

do yourself a favour if you have a couple of days. Give it the pva treatment. If that doesnt solve it its fucked.
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I am *not* covering a £30 LP in glue. I'll send it back to the seller.

Comment

You'd be amazed how effective it is
                      Just make sure it's PVA glue and not something else - that could be an expensive mistake!
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                        I am *not* covering a £30 LP in glue. I'll send it back to the seller.
                        It's not a bad suggestion, Dan. I have much better results with this than any amount of washing. Although it does sound to me from your description as though it's some fault in the vinyl and not on it's surface.
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Might be that your cartridge is misaligned if it's only the last tracks on an LP.
                          Does this distortion occur on other albums??

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnies-Pockets View Post
                            Might be that your cartridge is misaligned if it's only the last tracks on an LP.
                            Does this distortion occur on other albums??
                            If this is the case, it would do it on 45s all the time wouldn't it
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Could be that it was previously owned by someone with a misaligned stylus, and thereby damaged, rather than Dan's set up causing the problem.
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X