• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar kinds of happiness

Current all over the entire world.....

And

On Sie's Xmas swap last year
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Pharrell Williams 'Happy' v Velvet Hammer 'Happy'

Was working a few nights ago when I ran into a Wigan veteran (this is not the opening line to an incredibly niche joke). Had a great hour or so chat about the late 70s scene that he enjoyed as a kid which led to him mentioning (of all things) the latest 'big thing' from Pharrell Williams- 'Happy'. Now as far as I'm aware, it doesn't include any direct samples from the Velvet Hammer track but there are some striking similarities. The old boy was pretty irate about the whole thing if I'm honest. However, he doesn't seem to be the only person to have noticed as some of you may be familiar with a recent YouTube video showing a young lass dancing in the streets some non-descript northern town to both songs one after the other (cheers Divine!).

Just thought I'd put this up because I couldn't find a previous thread where it had been discussed & thought it might be of interest/debate.

I'm trying to find something you don't like...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
      ...some non-descript northern town...
      Bristol.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
        Bristol.
        How on earth have I missed that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
          Bristol.
          "she does really well but i bet it takes her a long time to get anywhere..."

Comment

Ah, it's at the end... D'oh!

Comment

There are similarities, yeah. The title and the style. Pharrell Williams is great.
              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

dancing in the streets some non-descript western town
                Fixed
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

The Williams song is one of the most condensed pop experiences I´ve ever heard. I liked it when I heard the first 30 seconds, really got into it for about two minutes then got sick of it and never wanted to hear it again before it had ended.
                  Bruno Mars "Treasure", however, endures. I´m still not sick of that
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                    Pharrell Williams is great.
                    assume you've been mainlining "Just A Cloud Away" into your 10cc/ ELO receptors.

it's jawdrop pop and no mistake.

i need to find a new vein.

Comment

Pharrell Williams is great.
                      Bobby James off the first N.E.R.D album is superb. Simple tune, low slung beat, psych phasing, great harmonies....

It would be great to have shared it here and in tandem with alanmck's post we could collectively send this thread in a 'jawdrop pop' direction but once again, only crappy live and cover versions are viewable on YouTube and they're not a patch on the original CD version.

Why do the majors do that?

F'idiots.
                      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        Bruno Mars "Treasure", however, endures. I´m still not sick of that
                        I recently took my son and niece to see Bruno Mars in Nottingham. He was INCREDIBLE, an amazing talent. At the end of 'When I Was Your Man', Bruno had a little cry and I found to my surprise that my face was wet, too.
                        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

I recently took my son and niece to see Bruno Mars in Nottingham. He was INCREDIBLE, an amazing talent. At the end of 'When I Was Your Man', Bruno had a little cry and I found to my surprise that my face was wet, too.
                          so jealous.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

To kind of go off on a tangent - I've been visiting this board since about 2001, so I've known about 'Northern Soul collectors' for a long time. But I had never heard of 'Northern Soul dancing' until I saw this girl's videos recently. I dig it though and she's adorable.
                            See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

Was working a few nights ago when I ran into a Wigan veteran (this is not the opening line to an incredibly niche joke). Had a great hour or so chat about the late 70s scene that he enjoyed as a kid which led to him mentioning (of all things) the latest 'big thing' from Pharrell Williams- 'Happy'. Now as far as I'm aware, it doesn't include any direct samples from the Velvet Hammer track but there are some striking similarities. The old boy was pretty irate about the whole thing if I'm honest. However, he doesn't seem to be the only person to have noticed as some of you may be familiar with a recent YouTube video showing a young lass dancing in the streets some non-descript northern town to both songs one after the other (cheers Divine!).

Just thought I'd put this up because I couldn't find a previous thread where it had been discussed & thought it might be of interest/debate.

Seems I'm not the only person who's noticed the http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ight=happiness similarity
                              "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Working...
                              X