Songs from musicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs from musicals

My daughter is nearly five and has developed an obsession with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which requires us to watch it on an almost weekly basis.
    Say what you want about Dick Van Dyke's lousy English accent, but he's great in it.
    Great dancer, great comic timing and - on occasion - able to deliver a song with wonderful phrasing and verve.
    I've grown to really love his bedtime lullaby Hushabye Mountain and this led me to dig out Bobbie Gentry's breathtaking version:

Julie London's take on it is also good, but I find the instrumentation slightly too overblown.

Any love for any other cover versions of songs from musicals out there?
    To infinity - and beyond!

Not cover versions but the Bugsy Malone soundtrack has been popular with our two for the past few years in particular these ones :

kids faves

and my fave which I just can't get enough of......

i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

Comment

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Galtee Mountain Casual View Post
        Not cover versions but the Bugsy Malone soundtrack has been popular with our two for the past few years
        I loved Bugsy Malone was I was a kid.

I've always wanted to play this as an 'ender' whenever I DJ'ed but have always bottled it:

In terms of covers of songs from musicals this takes some beating IMHO:
        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Funny you should say that St Jude as for years I actually used this as an ender whenever I played out! Was always amazed how well it worked too used to bring the whole crowd together at the end of the night!
          i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

Comment

Bobby Darin does Dr Doolittle
            The whole LP is great
            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I have three recommendable albums (for the easy-tolerant) which are purely "Sound Of Music" instrumental covers - anyone know of more?

Roy Budd - Roy Budd Is The Sound Of Music. Flashy piano showoff versions (ace).

Ted Heath - The Sound Of Music. Stentorian versions.

Edmundo Ros - The Ros Sound Of Music, which I just found is now available as a Trunk download. Latinized versions.

Not much on the Tube, but here's a sample:

Comment

i still love some of them Bugsy Malone tracks
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I was recently sent a link to a Youtube video of a 'Bugsy Malone' school production that I appeared in THIRTY years ago. It was a terrifying experience, especially as I had grey hair and a moustache in it, a facsimile of age which is a far cry from my actual ravaged future self.
                  SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                    Say what you want about Dick Van Dyke's lousy English accent, but he's great in it.
                    Great dancer, great comic timing and - on occasion - able to deliver a song with wonderful phrasing and verve.
                    I agree. He gets a bad press entirely based on the cockernee act.

This was on my swap a couple of years ago, but I don´t think you were in that one, JJ. Big Burl sings the original extended lyrics over a lovely descending vibes motif.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

There's a version of We're Off To See The Wizard on the LP People - There Are People And There Are People.

http://www.discogs.com/People-There-...elease/3060969

Funky horn rock but still a bit cheesy.
                      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Pretty much anything from the Jungle book. There's an LP by Mike Sammes singers, but the originals win.
                        Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

I am often unsure about musicals but I am utterly convinced by "On The Street Where You Live", I adore the tune, and find the words achingly beautiful; 'does enchantment pour out of every door?' Indeed it does.

Here's some of my favourite versions but there's loads.

Peggy Lee

Shelley Manne

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

On a similar tip I recorded Singing In The Rain for my daughter over the weekend and even though the world and his wife knows Gene Kelly's routine, I was struck by just how brilliant it was - perfectly demonstrating all that was great about cinema at the time.
                          I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

brit jazz central:

the version of Singing In The Rain is lovely, another Landsdowne series Dennis Preston production, with Ike Isaacs, Jeff Clyne, Kenny Baker, Gordon Beck et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
                              On a similar tip I recorded Singing In The Rain for my daughter over the weekend and even though the world and his wife knows Gene Kelly's routine, I was struck by just how brilliant it was - perfectly demonstrating all that was great about cinema at the time.
                              Singin in the Rain is a terrific kids film. One of my boys favourites as a toddler.
                              Saturday Night Fever was too, but I had to hide it once he got old enough to pick up on the swearing, racial slurs and rape.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X